Old Double Barrel continued

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Shotguns
dieNusse1

Re: Old Double Barrel continued

Post by dieNusse1 »

Now that's a fine can of worms that's been opened. I was not aware that shot other than #8 was used in choke testing. All the hang tags I've seen have the proofing load preprinted. But with all things Remington?????

This of course brings up the issue of shoot size not being standard at this time. According to shot charts I've seen, shot count/oz would vary from maker to maker.

Are there any grades or years that didn't use #8?
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

I'm wondering if the little 7 next to the 2 3/4 on the barrel means it was targeted with #7 shot. A DEO-Grade 12-gauge that surfaced recently that is marked as being chambered for 2 7/8 inch shells also has a 7 in that area --
121252 DEO-Grade 07 2 7-8 inch chamber marking.jpg
121252 DEO-Grade 07 2 7-8 inch chamber marking.jpg (344.13 KiB) Viewed 1808 times
DEO-Grade 135127, that has its original hang-tag with it that states it was targeted with #7 1/2 shot, has a 7. stamped on the barrel lug with the pellet counts, but it isn't marked as being chambered for longer shells.

For those of us who are into these old doubles, it is hard to imagine selling a family heirloom like this. Your best bet may well be to place it with one of the big auction houses like Julia's or Amoskeag.
Last edited by Researcher on Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paul harm

Post by paul harm »

A gun that nice and worth some good money, I would send it to Brad Bachelder for his opinion on condition and what it's worth. He's completely restored a couple of Remingtons for me and always does top notch work. Matter of fact, he has three Remingtons and a Parker of mine right now. You can reach him at 1-616-459-3636 after 10AM Mon to Fri. Nice gun - wish it was mine but don't have that kind of money.
Gypsyjon

Post by Gypsyjon »

I have listed this gun for sale on Guns International.

http://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-f ... =100822340

Interested folks please contact me, I am also accepting reasonable offers.