remington SXS 1887

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Shotguns
americasgunguy

remington SXS 1887

Post by americasgunguy »

I have purchased a Remington SXS 1887 (maybe a 1889) Would anyone be willing to educate me about how to strip it to examine it and how to field strip it for cleaning. I intend to shoot black powder hand loads along with a few other trapshooters as my gun club who have recently acquired similar SXS hammer guns and are having serious fun shooting them.

Bubba
dieNusse1

Re: remington SXS 1887

Post by dieNusse1 »

If the barrels are stamped Remington Arms Co then it's a 1889. If it's stamped E. Remington it's an earlier model. The Remington reorganization took place about 1888 or so.

The 1889 was designed for the smokeless powders of the day and if your gun is in good shape low pressure SP loads should be safe.

Not sure what you mean by field stripping. To clean barrels -- remove fore-end and then barrels. To clean barrels -- soap and water for BP.
jetmek1

Post by jetmek1 »

I use RST brand shells in my Damascus guns
americasgunguy

Post by americasgunguy »

jetmek1 wrote:I use RST brand shells in my Damascus guns
Where do you buy them and thanks for the reply, I am going to reload black powder in brass hulls because the sound and the smoke are so much fun.
americasgunguy

Post by americasgunguy »

It turns out to be an 1889 hammer gun. When I got it I could not believe the condition, it is beautiful no cracks in wood, checkering is perfec,t the metal is beautiful ,the barrels show slight pitting but are overall like mirrors. I cannot express how happy I am with this gun that I bought over the internet.
jetmek1

Post by jetmek1 »

I was getting them from a local supplier but try an online search. Think they are made in Penn if I recall..Yeh My SxS is definitely my favorite in my collection. The quality cant be beat.
americasgunguy

Post by americasgunguy »

Shot some black powder reloads yesterday, Couldn't figure out where the gun shoots, Need to go to the pattern board. It is seriously fun to shoot and the black powder is very smelly and dirty, but worth the trouble. I you get a chance to shoot one of these old guns with black powder do it. Cocking the hammers is an experience I never had before, makes one think of what war must have been like 120 years ago. Very different from today's automatic weapons and smokeless powder. Maybe this smoke is what the fog of war theory came from.
2shooter

Post by 2shooter »

What shells are you using for black powder? I shoot brass shells that I reload with black powder. I have dies to size the cases and crimp the over shot wad. They are like factory loads. Yes they are fun to shoot. hunt with.
americasgunguy

Post by americasgunguy »

I use magtech brass, but use an oversized (10 ga) over shot wad and do not crimp. We completely reload by hand using wooden dowels to pack and set the primer. If the overshot card is smaller it can be sealed with Elmers glue mixed with water. This way the whole thing is water soluble for cleaning. I learned this technique recently from some good old boys who know virtually everything about old guns etc. So far it works well and is great to load without the use of any modern machinery.
2shooter

Post by 2shooter »

I made my dies to fit Herter's number 3 press. I use 9ga. cardboard and 3/8 felt wads 9ga. over shot wad crimp brass over shot wad don't need glue in my 10ga. Winchester and U.M. C. shells. I use 11ga. wads in 12ga. brass shells.