Anyone have any information about the 1894 1900 shotgun?

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Shotguns
paul harm

Re: Anyone have any information about the 1894 1900 shotgun?

Post by paul harm »

You got hot under the color last time I posted , so I'll try not to offend you. No Remington SxS was plated and none were hot blued. If your gunsmith wants to hot blue it, find a new gunsmith who knows what he's talking about. Brad Bachelder in Grand Rapids Michigan does excellent case colors and cold bluing or re doing Damascus barrels.. He knows what the case colors should look like for all the American doubles, each are different. He's completely restored a Parker or two and three Remingtons for me and I've always been happy. The only problem, or part to watch when re assembling is the part between the sears with a tapped hole for the trigger plate to screw into. It rotates and can be upside down. You'll sometimes fiddle around getting the safety in the right position so the trigger plate goes down on the receiver only to find that part has rotated to the wrong position. I have five 1894's and have taken all of them apart a number of times and that part still gets me sometimes. Six of my Remington doubles have Damascus barrels and two have steel. I shoot one or the other three times a week at clays and have always shot 2 3/4" shells with no problem. Their are two more guys at my club who shoot Remington Damascus doubles and use 2 3/4" shells with no problem. We've been doing it for more than 10 years. I'm not trying to tell you what is safe to shoot in your gun, just what we do. Good luck - Paul
Walz

Post by Walz »

paul harm wrote:You got hot under the color last time I posted , so I'll try not to offend you. No Remington SxS was plated and none were hot blued. If your gunsmith wants to hot blue it, find a new gunsmith who knows what he's talking about. Brad Bachelder in Grand Rapids Michigan does excellent case colors and cold bluing or re doing Damascus barrels.. He knows what the case colors should look like for all the American doubles, each are different. He's completely restored a Parker or two and three Remingtons for me and I've always been happy. The only problem, or part to watch when re assembling is the part between the sears with a tapped hole for the trigger plate to screw into. It rotates and can be upside down. You'll sometimes fiddle around getting the safety in the right position so the trigger plate goes down on the receiver only to find that part has rotated to the wrong position. I have five 1894's and have taken all of them apart a number of times and that part still gets me sometimes. Six of my Remington doubles have Damascus barrels and two have steel. I shoot one or the other three times a week at clays and have always shot 2 3/4" shells with no problem. Their are two more guys at my club who shoot Remington Damascus doubles and use 2 3/4" shells with no problem. We've been doing it for more than 10 years. I'm not trying to tell you what is safe to shoot in your gun, just what we do. Good luck - Paul
Awesome, excellent information from a pro, that's what I want to know, thanks for the excellent information. :D

:wink: My firearm re-finisher is top notch, he has a lot of experience with the Remington shotguns and he has educated me on the finishes.

:) Thanks for the installation information that will help the assembly, I take it slow, and I'm methodical about firearms. I've got a lot of photos from when I disassembled the firearm, however the stock was broken and I didn't know what fell out, and I found out that it was the spring for the safety.

:?: The 2 3/4 shells worried me at first, but after reading the information it's apparent that the firearm will be OK to use modern shells. I have steel barrels, not Damascus barrels so I'm more confident to shoot modern shells.

:?: What ammo load do you use? A light one?? I'm going to want to use this for bird hunting.

Again thank you for the excellent information this has helped me out a whole lot. It's nice to have someone imput information who really knows their Shit. :D :D :D
Walz

Post by Walz »

I only get perturbed with people who are trolls, and people who interject useless B.S. information.

The last post was excellent, the guy knows his Remington 1894 1900 shotguns and that's all I ask from the forum members. That's all I ever wanted, just the facts, some good information about the firearm and not useless B.S. the makes the process more difficult than it has to be. This is really important for me to restore the firearm back to operating conditions making it a safe firearm to shoot.
Walz

Post by Walz »

:roll: Did you know that Remington has different style stocks for this model shotgun??
100621510_50_AD34ED3CC10D342B.jpg
100621510_50_AD34ED3CC10D342B.jpg (118.25 KiB) Viewed 4129 times
I've found several like this one.
wm_2878429.jpg
wm_2878429.jpg (88.02 KiB) Viewed 4129 times
It's the model 1894, however I've see them on plain versions also.
paul harm

Post by paul harm »

Yes, I have two straight stock F grade trap guns.
dieNusse1

Post by dieNusse1 »

Back in the day, you could custom order your 1894 from the factory. So if you wanted an English style stock, it was available at an added cost of course,

As far as English style stocks are concerned - as I recall they are mostly associated with Pigeon/Trap grades.
Walz

Post by Walz »

Now that's a really cool stock, I love it. 8)
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

William Heer with one of his Remingtons --

From the March 2, 1907, issue of The American Field --

1902 catalogue --

1904-05 catalogue --

1906 catalogue --

There was no "extra charge" for grip style, it was part of the choice within a given grade. By the last years, 1908 and 1909, the option of the straight grip was even listed in the catalogues for the entry-level A quality guns. A choice of grip was never catalogued for the K-grades (Model 1900s) but I wouldn't be surprised if some K-grades with different grips made it out the door at Ilion in the cleanup and sale of all break-action guns to Norvell - Shapleigh in 1910.