Inherited a Model 1894

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Shotguns
Ferguson1959

Inherited a Model 1894

Post by Ferguson1959 »

Serial #136756 It works and I would be interested in any and all information I can find especially date of manufacture and service info for cleaning out rust in the action. Any owners manuals out there?
Chuck
admin
Site Admin

Re: Inherited a Model 1894

Post by admin »

Ferguson1959 wrote:Serial #136756 It works and I would be interested in any and all information I can find especially date of manufacture and service info for cleaning out rust in the action. Any owners manuals out there?
Chuck
My chart show early 1908
dieNusse1

Post by dieNusse1 »

I've never seen an owners manual for the 1894 or 1900. Don't believe they ever existed. There are several posts on this site that show cutaways of these guns.

As for information -- the letter grade will be stamped on the water table and the choke for each barrel will be indicated by the pellet counts stamped on the barrel lugs. These may be a two or three digit number. If it is two digits, a leading 3 is assumed. Remington used a 1 1/4 oz load of #8 shot consisting of 511 pellets fired at a 30" circle from 40 yards to determine choke. So if the stamped count is 48 (or 348) the choke is 348/511=68% or about improved modified.

My best advice is to have excellent screw drivers on hand before trying to disassemble.
2shooter

Post by 2shooter »

Be very careful you take that action apart you will break or never get it back together there should not be rust in it. Clean it together with tooth or small brass bush.
dieNusse1

Post by dieNusse1 »

Never fear - if you have some mechanical ability you should be able to take your '94 down.

I've found that older guns, cars etc. have the same problem -- previous owners!! The main problem is the condition of the screw heads and perhaps a bit of gunk/rust in the threads. So, with good hollow ground screwdrivers, some Kroll oil or other penetrant and perhaps a bit of heat plus a tincture of time, you should be able to disassemble your '94. The three screws I've found to be most troublesome are the two on the trigger plate plus the top lever bolt.

Replacement screws are available - there are members who make them but at a price. Anyway good luck and don't hesitate using this forum.
paul harm

Post by paul harm »

About all you need to do is remove the trigger plate and then the action will come off. Two wood screws in the trigger guard - may have difficulty getting the trigger guard to come out of the wood. Remove trigger guard, screw going up to top tang, screw going down to trigger plate [ under the top lever, and screws in front of triggers. Use a small flat punch to tap the trigger plate out - it's used between the flats on the water table. That's it. The biggest problem is getting the safety lined back up when putting it back together. Good luck - Paul