1894 on Gunbroker

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Shotguns
nightowltill2

1894 on Gunbroker

Post by nightowltill2 »

Nice looking EE grade but the grade is not stamped on either of the flats. Also, it has been drilled for a sling. Does this sound factory?
Tom
Tom
Researcher

Re: 1894 on Gunbroker

Post by Researcher »

Are you talking 100173? Looked at it at The Vintage Cup. It is the earliest EE-Grade pictured in Charles Semmer's book. Not grade marked.

How about posting a link?
nightowltill2

Post by nightowltill2 »

Serial # is 100202. I bought the shotgun but still would like the information. I will try to post the link but if I am unsuccessful here is the item number. 308385893. It would be under closed auctions by now I am sure.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =308385893
Thanks, Tom.
Tom
RemRB

Post by RemRB »

Tom,
First of all I think you made a decent buy. It is not unusual that there is no grade stamp on the water table. The gun "researcher" is talking about, 100173, is one I owned and was not stamped. Your EE 100202 was probably made a couple months after 100173, and in the first year of production 1894. I had very carefully examined the photos of your gun and if I were 10 years younger would have gone after it. Outside of scratches and minor bumps on the stock the only thing that is wrong is the buttplate. That buttplate was never used on high grade Remintons. I would assume the former owner broke the original plate and replaced with the one now on it. What belongs on the gun is a somewhat plain horn buttplate. If you want, email me and I can send you a black and white photo from my book of the correct buttplate. Obviously you would have to have a very good person make such a plate. And by the way, that relief of metal you see on the water table is meant to be. It is what we call a light weight. I've seen it on many others. And the addition of the sling holes is not factory.
Congratulations Tom on getting a fine and scarce Remington.
email remrb2@q.com Charlie
RemRB

Post by RemRB »

Actually this question is for "researcher". Was that Remington EE 100173 that you saw at Vintage Cup in a hard case labled M. Hartley? A buddy of mine saw it and was'nt sure. Thanks-----Charlie
nightowltill2

Post by nightowltill2 »

Charlie, it appears that my last reply did not go through. Thank you and "researcher" for your information. I have your book and will have the picture of the plate but thanks. I tried to contact you via the internet before I bought the gun but not being internet savvy I failed. I have collected Remington Doubles for years. This is the first time that I had a chance to have one of this grade in 1894 so I gambled and took the plunge.
Thanks again, Tom
Tom
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

Wow!! Beautiful gun!! Good buy.

Yes, old 100173 was in the wooden case with the M. Hartley Co. label in the lid, and a brass cleaning rod and some loading implements also in the case.
nightowltill2

Post by nightowltill2 »

I received the shotgun on the 18th and found that the left tube ejector was broken. Seller said that he would repair it but was wondering if it would be possible to find one that would be the same. I have 2 other 1894 ejectors but they are different
Tom
Tom