1882 10 GAUGE SHOTGUN - NEED PARTS & INFORMATION PLEASE

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Shotguns
BUSSMAN69

1882 10 GAUGE SHOTGUN - NEED PARTS & INFORMATION PLEASE

Post by BUSSMAN69 »

I am currently dealing with a fellow collector on a Remington 1882 10 gauge shotgun. Well he thinks it's an 1882 but he's not sure. From my research it looks like one to me. He doesn't want that much for it and the gun is in excellant condition except for one thing. The left hammer has been replaced with a substitute hammer that looks to me like it could be from an earlier M1876 or "Lifter" Model. As it is a little taller than the original hammer on the right side. The hammer screw is also not original on the substitute left side hammer. I have attached pictures of both hammers.
Also the barrel is not Damascus or Laminated Steel. But a solid steel barrel. Is that possible ?? Were any of these made with solid steel barrels ?? The serial number is 7940 and all parts are matching. Does this serial number belong to a Model 1882 & does anybody know what year that it would have been manufactured ??
This is a new venture for me, so I would really appreciate any input that can be provided. Also, if I do end up buying it. Does anyone know where I could get an original hammer & screw for the left barrel ?? Thanks.
Attachments
Replacement hammer on the left barrel. Notice that it is a little taller than the original on the right barrel.
Replacement hammer on the left barrel. Notice that it is a little taller than the original on the right barrel.
1882 REMINGTON.jpg (3.68 KiB) Viewed 2174 times
Original hammer on the right barrel. Looks like an 1882 hammer to me ??
Original hammer on the right barrel. Looks like an 1882 hammer to me ??
1882 REMINGTON SHOTGUN.jpg (3.59 KiB) Viewed 2174 times
RemRB

Re: 1882 10 GAUGE SHOTGUN - NEED PARTS & INFORMATION PLEASE

Post by RemRB »

From what little I can see from the two photos, yes it is a Model 1882 and of course the right hammer is correct. That left hammer is not anything Remington. The steel barrels are decarbonized steel, a softer steel than today. And the shotgun is a Grade one. There are no concrete records, but from many years of research the 1882 was produced from 1882 to 1888. Serial numbers range fron 1,000 to 17,000. So that gun could date maybe 1883. An original left hammer and screw is near impossible to find. Hopefully someone of the Society will see your posting and may be of help.
BUSSMAN69

Re: 1882 10 GAUGE SHOTGUN - NEED PARTS & INFORMATION PLEASE

Post by BUSSMAN69 »

Thanks RemRB,
You have helped me out alot with your posting. Now if I could only locate an original hammer & screw for the left barrel.