Model 1889 12 Ga. SxS Parts

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Shotguns
centrion

Model 1889 12 Ga. SxS Parts

Post by centrion »

Hi,
My father past away a few months ago and left me several of his guns. One them was a an old 1889 (SN#94xxx) that belonged to his father and possibly belonged to his father (my great grandfather). The gun is in rough condition but it has all of the parts (I thought), when I noticed that the left hammer and screw are from a different model of shotgun, it's a close match, but definitely a different hammer. The barrels are loose in the water table and there was some kind of work done on the end of the barrel where the bead sight is suppose to be. There are four spots of brazing done on the tops of the barrels that looks like someone tried to braze on some type of sight with a square bottom. Anyway, what I'm searching for is a left hammer and/or screw and maybe another set of barrels if anyone has the extra parts.

Looking online , there seems to be a pattern of missing left hammers. This leads me to believe that as the left hammer stops going forward when it's fired, the shaft stops and the screw will still try to spin by inertia, and if it is slightly loose that eventually it will unscrew itself due to the left-hand rotation of the left hammer. Anyone else notice this on any other SxS hammer guns?
paul harm

Re: Model 1889 12 Ga. SxS Parts

Post by paul harm »

Think you're right on why the missing left hammer. I was shooting SC's and thought someone threw a shell at me - it was the left hammer. Garland Jackson - who has adds on SxS's wanted here on this web site has screws - don't know about the hammer - he might be able to help you. Paul