Double Ivory Beads on 1894

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Shotguns
Romac

Double Ivory Beads on 1894

Post by Romac »

Were double ivory beads standard on any lower grade 1894's?

I've got a line on a damascus 1894 in 12 gauge with about 80 to 85% condition for a pretty good deal.

Curious about the ivory.

Any help would be appreciated.

Roger
2shooter

Re: Double Ivory Beads on 1894

Post by 2shooter »

Roger, The answer is no ivory beads on low grade guns. You could get them on high grade gun.
Romac

Post by Romac »

I went back to look at the gun. It is a B grade. Serial # 1264XX

B stamped on bottom of both barrels as well as the top of the bridge style water table. After each B on the bottom of the barrels is 3 forward slash marks like this: B/// except the B is rotated to be parralell with the barrel not perpindicular.

choke muumbers are 47 and 43

All in all nice shape.

I brought it home with me. :D :D

I'll try to take some pictures later.
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

Twin ivory sights were available on any of the Remington Arms Co. doubles as a one dollar extra cost option --

From the 1901 catalogue, but there was a similar sights page in all their catalogues.

Your B-Grade sounds nice. That is a way higher serial number than I've heard of on a bridge-frame gun. What kind of barrels. My rather early bridge-frame BE-Grade has the "Chain J" Damascus barrels.

Romac

Post by Romac »

Researcher,

Your chain pattern on your barrels is much more vibrant than than the condition left on mine.

Without going back to other posts, I remember the damascus pattern being number "3" oe 3 twist or something like that.

My home computer is having problems or I would upload pictures.

Right now I am downloading/backing up 4 years of all kinds of stuff onto a 1.5 Terrabyte external hardrive to give me some breathing room on my home laptop. It has slowed to a heal on on earth crawl that needs to be remedied.
Romac

Post by Romac »

I went to double check and Researcher is correct. It is not a "bridge style" frame. My mistake in the post above.
Romac

Post by Romac »

I finally got my computer fixed that has my photos on it. These are'nt the greatest, the flash made everything look sort of rusty and wshed out case colors but here goes.

The ivory beads:

Researcher

Post by Researcher »

Great old BE-Grade!! Probably no way to prove now if it left Ilion with the Ivory sights or they were added later, but it certainly could have. They have obviously been there a long time.