Remington Model 77

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
hompac

Remington Model 77

Post by hompac »

I have a Remington .22LR. The stock and forearm are a dull green (Seneca?) The grip cap has Apache 77 on it. It has a 10 round clip, the Blue Book tells me that the Nylon 77 had a 5 shot clip. Also listed in the Blue Book is the Nylon Apache 77 which was made for K Mart but it had a bright green stock. With the info on the grip cap "Apache 77" and not "Nylon 77" but a dull green stock I am confused. Any info would be appreciated
John Gyde

N77

Post by John Gyde »

Your rifle sounds like an Apache 77. The stock colors vary a fair amount, but your should not be the dull Seneca green.

Check the barrel code for date of production. Enter Barrel Codes in the Search RSA box on this home page. Then compare that date to the code on the left side of the barrel just ahead of the receiver. The Blue Book will list the dates of production.

John Gyde

Post by Guest »

The Apache 77 was made for KMart and was sold from 87-89. A couple hundred thousand or more were made. I believe it was sold with a cheap 4x scope. It is a copy of the orginal 77 and the 10C but with matt black metal and a green stock. Kind of a commando nylon rifle.

Other than the brown 66, the Apache 77 is the most common nylon rifle made. They are pretty common.

Post by Guest »

I forgot to mention that the Blue Book is pretty inaccurate concerning nylon rifles. For some reason someone thought remington made a bright green stock at some point. I heard the seneca green stock described as such as well as the apache 77 stock as well. As far as I seen, neither the seneca green or apache 77 stocks are bright green. The seneca stock is more a dull brownish olive drab green while the Apache is more of a bluish green.
John Gyde

Ap 77

Post by John Gyde »

The term BRIGHT GREEN has been used by most folks describing the Apache 77. I guess one could say that it is a vivid green with some black swirls. Blue green is an interesting view.

I'm not sure, but I believe that Remington made approximately twice as many 10-Cs as Apache 77s. Where did you get your information that several hundred thousand Apache 77s were made???

Some may have been provided with scopes, but the 50 or so I have seen were not.

I provide the information on Rem 22s to the Blue Book. If you have some accurate information or corrections I would appreciate receiving them... Idle speculation is how all the inaccurate info gets in print.

John Gyde

Post by Guest »

All of the Apache 77s that I've seen in the last 3 years that I have been collected nylon rifles have been a rather dark bluish green. The blue is rather subtle in that is only represent bluish green swirals in the stock coloring similar to the black grain swirals in the brown stock. It is not very apparent unless you compare a Seneca Green stock next to a Apache Green stock. Since the rifle has a matt black finish, black diamond on the stock it seems like it was made as low key very subtle rifle. Bright green to me is the green on the Remington box. The A77 is hardly bright green by any stretch of the imagination. I suppose it comes down to a matter of perspective.

In terms of numbers of Apache 77 compared to 10Cs. I believe Remington's web site indicates approximately 126,000 10Cs made.

I try to keep track of the serial numbers I run across. This has indicated to me that the serial numbers and date codes of Apache 77 ranged from A2335160 in May 1987 and into the A2370140 range in Oct 87. That is about 35,000 in 5 months. If you divide that number by the number of months you get an average of about 7,000. If one extrapolates those numbers over the 30 months that the rifle was produced you get around 209,000 rifles. Even if the production numbers were not that high or production didn't last for the entire 36 months the rifles were offered (1987-1989) I think it would be safe to speculate that there were 100,000 or more Apache 77s made.

I admit that this is purely speculation on my part as I don't have any production numbers from the factory. 200K does sound a bit much but then again it was the only nylon rifle being made during the time I believe.

Post by Guest »

John, I was speculating based on inaccurate or undocumented information. I appologize for that.

I would be interested in surveying Apache 77 owners as to what their serial numbers are and what their date codes say.

I have found a June 1988 rifle with a serial number of A2400XXX
longrifle

Re: Remington Model 77

Post by longrifle »

Hi All

I own a Remington Apache 77 22 Caliber long rifle
I hear your looking for dates and numbers to determine how many made & when
Mine says WH 87 ... and that's about right for the time I remember buying it - late 80's
Serial number is A2358838
The stock DOES have a lighter green color with brown and black too - long streak pattern
I always refer to it as my camo rifle
Made at the Remington Arms CO, Ilion, NY
I purchased it at Riley's Sport Shop In Hooksett NH - NOT Walmart
$99 at the time
2 magazine clips came with it ... I still have the original box too
It says 3724 W.H.
I hope that this helps those of you that are looking for information on the 77
Leah

PS. Is this a rim fire? I shoot a S&W Model 41 and I'm wondering
if the same ammo will work ... CCI Standard Velocity 22LR 40 grain lead round nose ... target
admin
Site Admin

Re: Remington Model 77

Post by admin »

longrifle wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:31 pm
longrifle wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:31 pm Hi All

I own a Remington Apache 77 22 Caliber long rifle
I hear your looking for dates and numbers to determine how many made & when
Mine says WH 87 ... and that's about right for the time I remember buying it - late 80's
Serial number is A2358838
The stock DOES have a lighter green color with brown and black too - long streak pattern
I always refer to it as my camo rifle
Made at the Remington Arms CO, Ilion, NY
I purchased it at Riley's Sport Shop In Hooksett NH - NOT Walmart
$99 at the time
2 magazine clips came with it ... I still have the original box too
It says 3724 W.H.
I hope that this helps those of you that are looking for information on the 77
Leah

if the same ammo will work ... CCI Standard Velocity 22LR 40 grain lead round nose ... target
Yes, same ammo will work.