Model 550-1 basics

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
LDiablo

Model 550-1 basics

Post by LDiablo »

Apologize for this question, but as I inherited a model 550-1 and don't have the ability to get first-hand directions from my Dad, I can't figure this out on my own.

Does the bolt on the 550-1 lock open? On mine, the bolt pulls back against a spring to seat a cartridge, but I have to manually keep it pulled back when cleaning. It doesn't go completely to the back of the slot, which has a slightly larger opening machined out at the rear.

I'm hoping there are enough people familiar with this once-popular model who might help me understand what this thing can and can't do.

Thanks.
Wulfman

Re: Model 550-1 basics

Post by Wulfman »

Go to this site and you can download the manual for that rifle.

http://www.stevespages.com/page7b.htm

Or, click on this link and it will download the manual into your browser in .pdf format.

http://stevespages.com/pdf/remington_550.pdf

Den
rsv1rem

Post by rsv1rem »

The model 550-1 does not have a bolt hold-open feature. However it's quite easy to clean from the breech by removing the receiver plug and bolt. Or construct a hold-open feature out of a piece of clothes hangar wire clipped over the bolt handle and safety. Then you can use a pull-through cleaning from the breach end. Use some electrical schrink-tight over the ends of the wire to protect the metal.
LDiablo

Post by LDiablo »

Thanks. I had seen the manual and that's really silent on the subject. So I appreciate your clarifying. My son has been shooting in a youth shoot each month using club's guns and was hoping if the bolt could be kept open like a bolt-action, they might let him use it. But with the semi action and no hold-open, I don't think they'll allow it.
CATSPAW

Post by CATSPAW »

3-30-13, in regards to range safety breech open in the Remington 550: no! the breech doesn't stay open when pulling the charging handle fully to the rear in spite of the larger opening further to the rear of the chamber., anyone who claims to be giving advice as to this subject ought to know why there is a larger opening otherwise they are bogus and shouldn't be listened too or taken serious,! my experience when I was a boy, with range safety breech open is this; I was told at my range to stick a wooden dowel into the space to keep the breech open thus satisfying the safety officer, even a wooden pencil or tooth brush handle seems to satisfy them as long as the breech wasn't fully closed. I'm sure there are other methods but this'll get you started. range safety did want it unloaded so I had to remove the tubular magazine insert and lay it aside; I never loaded more than I planned to shoot at one time, just made it easier to unload...