Scoremaster 511 Smooth Bore?

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
PhilN

Scoremaster 511 Smooth Bore?

Post by PhilN »

I recently acquired a Scoremaster 511 in smooth-bore.

About all the information I can find is it was offered for an option but none of the gun guide or gun price books seem to list one.

Just wondering if anyone has one or can offer any insight on this great old rifle?

Thanks,
rich
PhilN

Re: Scoremaster 511 Smooth Bore?

Post by PhilN »

No one has seen one of these? Remington says they were only made one year. And I can find no info in any of the gun books I have other than it was offered.

Thanks,
rich
remington600

Post by remington600 »

What more do you want to know. They were made a little longer then a year from 1939 to 1941.
PhilN

Post by PhilN »

Value? There are no listings in any of the gun value books I have seen.

Also was told they used them for some sort of game involving glass balls? Just curious about the rifle.

Thanks,
Rich

remington600 wrote:What more do you want to know. They were made a little longer then a year from 1939 to 1941.
remington600

Post by remington600 »

The smoothbore rifle was generally made for shooting birds and rodents in barns and sheds because they normally didnt have the velocity to shoot holes threw the roofs and walls. There were mini trap throwing games in the 1930s , but they were mostly for the routledge bore rifles. As of value ity would be hard to give you an estimate without personally holding your rifle to see condition and verifying that all parts are working and factory. If I were to buy one in 95%condition and that meens only 5%away from what the gun looked brand new I would expect to pay between $325-$375.00.
PhilN

Post by PhilN »

Thank you for the information. That helps a lot.

remington600 wrote:The smoothbore rifle was generally made for shooting birds and rodents in barns and sheds because they normally didnt have the velocity to shoot holes threw the roofs and walls. There were mini trap throwing games in the 1930s , but they were mostly for the routledge bore rifles. As of value ity would be hard to give you an estimate without personally holding your rifle to see condition and verifying that all parts are working and factory. If I were to buy one in 95%condition and that meens only 5%away from what the gun looked brand new I would expect to pay between $325-$375.00.
remington600

Post by remington600 »

Anytime!!!
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

Here's another idea. When I was a tyke at YMCA camp we used to shoot what they called "MoSkeet". This was a mini-trap game and they threw actual clay targets about the size of a silver dollar. We used bolt action smoothbore rifles, I believe they were Remington but don't know the model number. We used a crimped end .22 shot cartridge holding No. 9 shot (maybe smaller). This was in 1954-1955 era. Sound like it could be it?

Try looking up MoSkeet and see what you find.

JeffH
remington600

Post by remington600 »

Thats the Mo skeet O bore. Came out originally in the remington 121.
PhilN

Post by PhilN »

I had an email chat with one of the highest authorities of Remington gun values.
I won't name names, but lets just say he wrote "the book" on Remington rimfire rifles.

He said:

"the value of a 511 SB should be two (maybe three)
times the value of a standard 511. A minty 511 SB
should be worth at least $400, probably more. Even a decent one should
bring $350. "

I trust this persons opinion more than anyone in the business. So another mystery solved.

Want to thank him and all the great folks here for their input and help.
remington600

Post by remington600 »

Wait a minute. Did that say " highest authority on Remington gun values". Sorry John I had to put that out there. Looks like my values were pretty on. When do I get my authority T-shirt.
John Gyde

Post by John Gyde »

He said "One of the highest authorities". That sure didn't come from me. Your sling is on the way. There wasn't enough room in the box for a T shirt...