Remington 788 stock question

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
mwolf

Remington 788 stock question

Post by mwolf »

Hi. I have a question regarding my Remington 788 6mm. I bought this rifle from a good friend of mine. He only had it for a few months before selling it to me, after he bought it from another guy.

As can be seen in the picture below, the rifle has a synthetic stock. According to the serial number the gun was manufactured in 1968, but I thought that they only made 788's with wood stocks back then. Do you think that someone redid the stock on this gun, or did Remington actually make 788's with black synthetic stocks?

Thanks!!

mwolf

Re: Remington 788 stock question

Post by mwolf »

Never mind. I was able to find out from my friend that the guy he bought it from replaced the old wood stock with this one. Is there any way to find a wood stock for the 788 even though it is out of production?

On another note, do you think this gun was worth the $350 I paid for it? I have only shot it a couple times, and it was dead on accurate.
Wulfman

Post by Wulfman »

mwolf wrote:Never mind. I was able to find out from my friend that the guy he bought it from replaced the old wood stock with this one. Is there any way to find a wood stock for the 788 even though it is out of production?

On another note, do you think this gun was worth the $350 I paid for it? I have only shot it a couple times, and it was dead on accurate.
You could probably find a replacement stock (from various sources), but if it shoots good the way it is, I wouldn't change a thing. Considering what you would probably pay for another stock would make increasing the value of it highly doubtful. It's probably "worth" about what you paid for it. Remington made an extremely large number of those rifles over the years in various calibers. They were cheap and extremely accurate......a no-frills, "put the meat in the freezer" type of firearm. What more could a person ask for?

Den
crcepelak

Post by crcepelak »

Hi, just joined the forum. I have a 788 in .308, hand me down. I figured I can afford better optics, the gun was free! I have the wood stock, it's kind of homely. Considering synthetic myself, but there's an ebay seller who makes black walnut unfinished stocks that look pretty nice for about $90 or so. Ebay search 'Remington M 788 walnut sporter stocks.' He has good feedback. Silverhill1 is the seller.

http://cgi.ebay.com/REMINGTON-M-788-WAL ... 5884a9156e

If you get one, let me know what you think. I'm torn.

Cory
rone2044

Post by rone2044 »

I just picked up a model 788 in 22-250 cal. It was made in 1967 and has a walnut stock. The stock has one side (right side) of the pistol grip checkered. My question is, did the factory ever make any like this or is an aftermarket addition. Thanks for any information you can give.