VTR308

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
DustyRoads

VTR308

Post by DustyRoads »

Just to say just how very happy I am with my VTR308.
After hunting since age 9 (now 50+) mostly with my dad's ol' 303 1943 Longbranch,I really am proud of my first modern rifle.
Never thought I'd like synthetic stock but this baby hangs on to your fingers with the soft rubber inserts and the green color works perfect for camo especially since the inserts are black(breaksup the pattern).
The traingle barrel has been out on pistols and was wondering when someone would do a rifle like it.
I think the triangle barrel is the shape of the future for rifles.
The accuracy is generally1" or less(100yrds -No I'm not a bench shooter-meat on the table purposes) with any over the counter brand.
Did I mention how great effective the made in the barrel,muzzle brake works...Excellant!
This baby does not kick (I can almost shoot with one hand!). :)
Folks,if your a looking,This is IT!!
Thanks Remmy,
Keep Vertical
350magman

Re: VTR308

Post by 350magman »

Glad to hear you found a VTR that will shoot. I bought one when they first appeared and tried every possible combination of loads. Best I could get out of it was about 1.5", and it averaged closer to 2.5". Pretty poor for a .308, in my estimation. I work in a large gun shop and these rifles sit in the rack for months with no serious lookers. I predict they will be quickly dropped by Remington. I think the triangular barrel deal was nothing more than a marketing gimmick. A good conventional round barrel, or fluted barrel .308 will shoot as well as the cartridge is capable of. My experience with the fluted barrel Remingtons has been very good and I feel it is a very useful variation.
DustyRoads

Re: VTR308

Post by DustyRoads »

I think at some point in production an improvement was made to them in accuracy.
I purchased my VTR after reading the good review in Gunblast.com and have had the same results but I do not shoot the Buffalo Bore...I use Remmington 165 gr. :D