Scout scope on a 141 ?

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
Jim585

Scout scope on a 141 ?

Post by Jim585 »

I am thinking about putting a long eye relief Scout scope on my 35 Remington 141, similar to the attached discussion & picture on a 336. Has anyone done this? What are the pros & cons?
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthrea ... 14969801/1
Zig-Zag

Re: Scout scope on a 141 ?

Post by Zig-Zag »

You mean besides butchering a classic rifle?

Jim585

Post by Jim585 »

I figured this might raise a few hackles. Perhaps that is why it has not been done......at least not on this forum.
nambujim

Post by nambujim »

Jim!

If that rifle is really nice, wouldn't mount a scope on it but there
are a lot of 141's around you could purchase that have already been drilled for scope mounts. Whatever you do please avoid drilling the barrel, make me ill when I see this.

My formula used to be that you deduct about $50 for every screw hole
you put in these rifles, think that's up to at least $75 per hole. I actually
have a Model 141 frame where the owner could not really make up his mind as to what scope mount he wanted, so the frame ended up with seven (7) holes on the side and four (4) on top, and then two (2) bonus holes on the side for a receiver sight.

In my 45+ years of working on these I feel the best scope for these is a Redfield JR mount with a weaver K3 or K2.5 but then you want more eye relief. Just my opinion based on experience. Those are quality scopes, durable, dependable, and have damn good glass.

Jim Peterson
Still annoying folks from Charlotte, NC
Jim Peterson
Jim585

Post by Jim585 »

Thanks NambuJim,
I always appreciate your perspective.
The 336 picture on my link got me wondering if it would work on a 141. I was thinking that the picture may have used the factory D&T as well as the rear sight dovetail to avoid direct bbl D&T?
I have a late 141 that was already D&T when I got it & I thought I would put the idea up here to see if it has been done on a 141.
My late 141 has a Weaver 2.5 that I like & I already have a Deerslayer with a scout scope for shotgun only areas, so I wont investigate this further.
I will not D&T my early 141, as the original iron sight & added tang peep sight keeps me entertained as is.
Thank you for your comments. -Jim585