Remington 700 Identification (243)

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
Skoobie

Remington 700 Identification (243)

Post by Skoobie »

Hi everyone. I'm sure you get a million and 1/2 of these questions so I'm sorry to bother you. My father passed away and left me his gun collection. I'm having trouble identifying the specific model and features of this Model 700. I know its a heavy barrel (23") and it was produced in 1998 but I don't know enough about the rifles to tell what features it has. The action/barrel are extremely tight to the stock, no play at all. The trigger is also VERY sensitive. I don't have a trigger gauge but I would estimate the pull between 1-2lbs, its VERY crisp. Any help would be awesome. I'll post a link to my google photos account so you guys can see what I'm talking about. Thank you for your help!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/EXEtCqrUYefqtzZJ9
Skoobie

Re: Remington 700 Identification (243)

Post by Skoobie »

Well I THINK I found it. I was hunting around for a serial lookup (to no avail) and was pointed to the Remington site. Since my rifle was produced in 1998 I assumed it was no longer in production (at least this variant, not the 700 itself). But I THINK I found it. What do you guys think? It looks almost identical to my rifle.

https://www.remington.com/rifles/bolt-a ... -precision

EDIT: Nevermind. I just realized this link is a model Seven. Not a 700. My bad
600RemGuy

Post by 600RemGuy »

Looks to me like a re-barrelled 700 Varmint Stainless. Not a factory barrel. Could be a custom trigger but they can be adjusted and made smoother.
Skoobie

Post by Skoobie »

That would make sense. I measured the barrel at 23" (closed bolt with a taped off cleaning rod) and could not for the life of me find a factory barrel length in that size. Is there a way to identify an aftermarket trigger without tearing down the rifle? If I did tear it down what would I be looking for?