Model 12 feeding issue

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
GlenH

Model 12 feeding issue

Post by GlenH »

Hi all- I’m trying to get my dad’s old Model 12 back into shooting condition. I’m not a gunsmith and this is the first rifle I’ve ver taken apart.

The issue is that the bolt seems to lock halfway open when it’s feeding a round. It also sometimes locks at the same location when the bolt is being closed but not as often. This only happens with a round in the magazine, when the gun is completely empty it cycles fine. I’ve taken it apart as far as I can get it and cleaned and lubed it. This didn’t make a difference.

Any insight into what I should be looking at would be appreciated.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Model 12 feeding issue

Post by admin »

GlenH wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:12 am Hi all- I’m trying to get my dad’s old Model 12 back into shooting condition. I’m not a gunsmith and this is the first rifle I’ve ver taken apart.

The issue is that the bolt seems to lock halfway open when it’s feeding a round. It also sometimes locks at the same location when the bolt is being closed but not as often. This only happens with a round in the magazine, when the gun is completely empty it cycles fine. I’ve taken it apart as far as I can get it and cleaned and lubed it. This didn’t make a difference.

Any insight into what I should be looking at would be appreciated.
If you've taken it apart and got the breech block back in and rifle together, you've done better then most. :shock: