Remington model 14 fail to fire

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
neller

Remington model 14 fail to fire

Post by neller »

Hello.

I am having a. Issue with my Model 14. It fails to fire when a shell is loaded in the chamber about half the time. It will always fire dry.

It feels like the trigger is blocked or the gun is on safe.

I am shooting reloads out of it. They are Sierra 150 gr 30‐30 flatnose bullets over 30 grs 3031. COAL is 2.53". Same pills I feed my Model 8.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Pat
Jim585

Re: Remington model 14 fail to fire

Post by Jim585 »

My 141 always fires when loading the cartridge into the magazine and cycling into the chamber.
I experienced failures to fire only when loading a cartridge directly into the chamber. Perhaps I was not completely cocking the hammer?
Gamemaster32

Post by Gamemaster32 »

Pat:

The first thing that comes to mind is a head space issue. Check your sizing length & be sure the action is locking into battery. You may need to set the shoulder back slightly with your full length sizer die.
nambujim

Post by nambujim »

Your Model 14 is NOT your Model 8 and the ammunition requirements are
different, the 8 will take flat nose stuff but the 14 doesn't like them.

Your problem is your ammunition which of course you knew, find a box
of original factory ammunition, and try them. They might be a bit on the
expensive side but they will work in your rifle and you could then attempt to make your "reloads" similar.

Brass is usually the issue and almost every day I get an email or phone call
from someone with loading/firing issues..............its your ammunition, not the rifle. After-market brass sucks and works poorly.

Received an email today about my posting on the forum about after market brass/ammunition. The individual said that "the stuff" wasn't all that bad,17 out of the 20 actually fired. Anything using after market brass is iffy and
factory brass that has been fired more than five times suffers severe rim damage because of the feed system.

Jim Peterson
Charlotte, NC
Jim Peterson
neller

Post by neller »

Thanks for all the replies. So, after posting I went and tried dry firing again and it would fail to fire probably 3 out of 5 times. When it failed to fire I noticed the magazine tube would turn slightly well pulling the trigger. This led me to believe I had some internals fighting each other.

Did a detailed strip and cleaned it to the bone. Didn't find what could be binding it, but after reassembly it fires everytime. Took it to the range and fed 20 150 gr flat nose through it without a hickup.

Guess sometimes a good cleaning helps everyone out.

As an aside, I believe mine is a 1912 first run gun as its serial is 1550. Don't know what the C above the serial stands for. It is a blast to shoot and will ring the 100 yard gong religously.

Pat