reed ammunition

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
45lc

reed ammunition

Post by 45lc »

Has anyone used the 30 Remington 150 grain bullets from this company?
45LC
nambujim

Re: reed ammunition

Post by nambujim »

I can only tell you this, Reed does NOT differentiate between rounds that can be used in the Model 8/81 and the 14/141. You can use FP or RN in the 8/81 but FP stuff will eventually jam in the 14/141, just had one of those in my shop where the Reed round hung up.

Once I cleared the piece, cleaned up the shaved pieces of lead....etc it worked perfectly with RN ammo made using R-P brass. There are a lot
of options out there from Graf, Reeds, and others but you must remember just how bloody fussy the 14/141 is about brass. Even vintage original W-W brass had a rim thickness just a hair thicker then Remington and it fed less well than R-P stuff.

You are right to ask about Reed, Graf, and others because personally I don't trust any of it. Buffalo Arms has been using Graf brass recently but to their credit they identify the RN stuff for use in the 14/141. I did test some rounds of Buffalo .32 Remington stuff and it worked fine. Finding brass and dependable loaded ammunition for the 14/141 is a "total bitch" and younger shooters/reloaders have difficulty thinking 1912 technology.

It used to be that Jamison made brass for Graf but believe that has changed which would be a good thing because both Jamison and Quality Cartridge stuff was iffy. A lot of Jamison stuff wouldn't even fit in my shell holder and fully half of all Quality Cartridge brass split on the first
firing. Good luck with all this, REMEMBER that 90%+ of all feed problems with the 14/141 are ammunition related!!!!!!

Jim Peterson
Charlotte, NC
Jim Peterson