12A Additional Info Needed

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
denny_martinez11

12A Additional Info Needed

Post by denny_martinez11 »

Found this great forum, and have really gained a great deal of info and insight shortly after joining.
I recently found (Yep, one of those stories) a Model 12A sitting in the back closet of my friends house. Gun was not taken care of, with moderate rust, but I did quickly notice that all of the parts and components appeared to be present. With a little TLC, and a little gunsmith work, I was able to clean her up and prevent her from becoming a permanent "Wall Hanger"!
I really enjoy those old guns, wondering about the owners, their journeys and how they came to rest in their current situation.
I'm trying to find/locate some additional detail of this little beauty so I can truly tell her story.
I'd like to discover the actual date/month that she was produced.
I'd also like to really understand "ALL" of the identifiable markings on both sides of the barrel, the inside of the receiver, the side of the action bar, and the side of the trigger guard.
I'll include pictures to properly identify locations of markings and the letters, etc. I'm not certain about odd marks on the barrel that are either markers marks, proof marks, QA, Assy, or somethings else.
I really need help to understand and tie in all of the letters/markings to understand how this old girl was built and assembled.
Here is what I have:
  • Model: 12A Standard (S/L/LR) Round Barrel, Straight Stock
  • S/N: RW 140835 (1912, based on the info provided on the RSOA site)
    • Production in 1912: 62,497 units made
    Supporting photos and comments:
    Serial Number location and Rem UMC markings:

Barrel Markings:
    A "W" Shown on right side.

A "J" above an "N" with the barrel alignment marker between the letters.

Some unique stamp/patter(s) that are symmetric and angled toward each other.

A "P" and the S/N: 140835 on the left side of the trigger guard.

A "S" on the side of the action bar. I believe this "S" corresponds to the "S" inside the receiver.

An "S" and "B" (Laying in its back) inside the receiver. The "S" corresponds to the action bar, but I'm not certain what the "B" is related, or corresponds too.
    Second pic of receiver with "B" oriented correctly to see stamp.

Buttstock S/N

Thanks for any info, help and assistance that the group can provide. Love the history and looking forward to gaining more knowledge and continuing to tell her story.

Kind Regards,
    Denny