Remington magazine troubles

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
Skipperd

Remington magazine troubles

Post by Skipperd »

I recently purchased a model 81 .300 savage made in sept. 1949.. I’m new to understanding everything I need to know about some of the quirks of the gun but from what I have read the magazine should hold 5 rounds, it will only hold 4 rounds now! I had the gun to an old Remington gunsmith who has worked on lots of these back in the fifties and sixties but could not figure out what was wrong. I read somewhere that when the .35 was introduced the magazine was reduced to 4 rounds for that cartridge. If that’s true did that carry over to the .300 sav. Of the videos I’ve watched all the 81 are loadinding and shooting 5 rounds. Right now I’m flustered. Any ideas out there. Or where do I go from here
adirondack

Re: Remington magazine troubles

Post by adirondack »

If the rifle is functioning and firing well I wouldn't fret it. Personally I never jam the last round into any semi auto. They all function better that way.
Skipperd

Re: Remington magazine troubles

Post by Skipperd »

Thanks for the Tibet. I agree don’t think I would need more than 4 shots in actually hunting situations, but it just ticks me off why it won’t hold the 5th bullet. I’d like the gun to be as original as I can get. For now I’ll settle for 4 shots of good whiskey. Thanks for responding.