Model 14 questions

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
Pistolero45

Model 14 questions

Post by Pistolero45 »

Thanks for letting me join your group. I recently picked up a very clean model 14 in .30 Remington. I have two questions. 1) what year of manufacture would serial number 90,5xx be; and 2) should the wheel sight have been standard? That last question is perplexing me as the gun has a vintage buckhorn type sight.

I'm very excited to have this rifle. I've ordered reloading dies and brass. And if the gun shoot good, I plan to take it deer hunting this coming fall.

Thanks for whatever info you can provide!

Mark
nambujim

Re: Model 14 questions

Post by nambujim »

Your rifle would date to about 1924 and might have a barrel code of the left side of the barrel just in front of the frame. The code would be two lettes, the first for the month, the second for the year. The code for 1924 would have been an "R"

No, the wheel sight would not have been standard for your rifle but rather the long leaf 701-1/2 sight which is sort of a buckhorn style.

Although they quit using the Wheel Sight, the slot remained in ALL Model 14 barrels because it was part of the manufacturing process and was used to hold the barrel in position while machining it. The Wheel Sight was available at no extra cost throughout Model 14 production.

The Wheel Sight coupled with the extremely low front sight provided a simply awful sight picture whereas the 701-1/2 sight with the higher front was a vast improvement. The designation for the Wheel Sight was 117-1/2.

Check to see if your rifle has a barrel code

Hope this helps!

Jim Peterson
Charlotte, NC
Jim Peterson