788 cal .223, new to me

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
Trooperdan

788 cal .223, new to me

Post by Trooperdan »

I've just joined here as I scored a grail item recently and am seeking information on it. I was about 120 miles from home for a pistol match and was the last shooter scheduled so I had time to look around. There was a rack of 20 long guns out in the customer area and I casually looked them over from a distance. The first one I noticed was a Nylon 66, upon examination, it was in very good condition, probably even excellent and tagged at $250. The next small caliber was a Remington bolt, I believe a model 34 but honestly I didn't check it out that well because I noticed down the line, a 788! A quick glance at the muzzle looked like .22, could it be the .222 I've looked for ? Nope, a .223 but immaculate! The price, $150! I never put it down, didn't even negotiate on the price, just whipped out my credit card.
Later I was told all the guns were from a close friend of the shop owner. Apparently the poor unfortunate's wife woke up one recent morning and said, "All the guns and ammo have to go!" Don't know what I might have missed out on but I feel like I got the pick of the litter at that price!
Does anyone know about how many 788's were made in .223? I read the date code as June, 1980, serial A30040XX.
Dan
Trooperdan

Re: 788 cal .223, new to me

Post by Trooperdan »

Anyone have info info on this rifle for me?