Re: Model 25 pump action take-down rifle, 25-20- HELP!. cal

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
Mistclimber

Post by Mistclimber »

down rifle, 25-20 cal. LOW Serial #7. Safe Queen in near mint condition. 24" barrel, 41.5" total length. No model number stamped on side or underside of receiver as seen on all production models. Twenty ribs on forearm while production models have 10 or less ribs.

I contacted Remington to obtain history and letter, Remington stated they have no recorded information on this rifle, either due to lost records or it was never recorded. Possible factory prototype rifle with a 1923 barrel code.
nambujim

Post by nambujim »

I will have Tom Hemphill respond to this............he knows more about them than anyone and has a data base that includes serial 2 & 3.

Jim Peterson
Charlotte, NC
Jim Peterson
Tom H

Post by Tom H »

I see some issues with this particular rifle. The receiver is not marked "AA" above the serial number. Receivers into the 14,000 range were marked this way. Early barrels were marked "Model 25" on the barrel, between "Remington trade mark" and "25-20". This barrel does not have the "Model 25" marking. On the contrary, it carries a build code of DU2. That "2" indicates a BARREL ONLY sold by the factory in September, 1927. Yet pre production model 25s were made in 1922. Serial 3 was made in 3/22, I believe, and 38 and 79 both were made in August of that year. These guns mentioned all are "AA" marked. The wood is what was used on the model 121, which did not exist until 1936. The 121 forearm on 7 is a type not used until around 1951. Prior to 1951, the forearm screws had a smaller locking screw in place. As to the bluing, I am going by pictures on gunbroker only, but let me say that I have never seen such excellent bluing on any rifles I've examined that were made in the period from the 1920s or 1930s. That includes C, D, and F grades...........tom
NRA Benefactor Member
Mistclimber

Post by Mistclimber »

So what are you saying? This gun I purchased came from the son of a previous general then Secretary of State of the United Sates. Then became a military contractor. Are you saying you don't know as well? Please say exactly what you think. I just really need to know more information on this gun. I will attach the link..https://www.gunbroker.com/item/749101932
Mistclimber

Post by Mistclimber »

The son became a military contractor. His father I believed retired...the former Secretary of State . Sorry problems wilh posting from phone.
nambujim

Post by nambujim »

How about I tell you what I think..................someone got the frame and parts, then put this thing together in pieces. Looks lovely but not worth 5% of the asking price. How's that!!

Jim Peterson
Charlotte, NC
Jim Peterson
Mistclimber

Post by Mistclimber »

Tom H wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 6:54 am I see some issues with this particular rifle. The receiver is not marked "AA" above the serial number. Receivers into the 14,000 range were marked this way. Early barrels were marked "Model 25" on the barrel, between "Remington trade mark" and "25-20". This barrel does not have the "Model 25" marking. On the contrary, it carries a build code of DU2. That "2" indicates a BARREL ONLY sold by the factory in September, 1927. Yet pre production model 25s were made in 1922. Serial 3 was made in 3/22, I believe, and 38 and 79 both were made in August of that year. These guns mentioned all are "AA" marked. The wood is what was used on the model 121, which did not exist until 1936. The 121 forearm on 7 is a type not used until around 1951. Prior to 1951, the forearm screws had a smaller locking screw in place. As to the bluing, I am going by pictures on gunbroker only, but let me say that I have never seen such excellent bluing on any rifles I've examined that were made in the period from the 1920s or 1930s. That includes C, D, and F grades...........tom
Thank you Tom for the information you have given. I appreciate it very much. Actually, I'm Tom's wife. And, that is the rifle at gun brokers. We are working very hard at obtaining more I formation on it. Thank again!
Last edited by Mistclimber on Thu May 10, 2018 8:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mistclimber

Post by Mistclimber »

nambujim wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 7:54 am How about I tell you what I think..................someone got the frame and parts, then put this thing together in pieces. Looks lovely but not worth 5% of the asking price. How's that!!

Jim Peterson
Charlotte, NC
Thank you Jim. I appreciate all thoughts on our rifle. Is this what you were alluding to Tom? The price, well basically we really aren't letting it go till we know what we have. All the time at gunbroker we get private messages from individuals giving their opinions o a rifle, gun or ammo.... a way to get additional information..
Last edited by Mistclimber on Thu May 10, 2018 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mistclimber

Post by Mistclimber »

Tom H wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 6:54 am I see some issues with this particular rifle. The receiver is not marked "AA" above the serial number. Receivers into the 14,000 range were marked this way. Early barrels were marked "Model 25" on the barrel, between "Remington trade mark" and "25-20". This barrel does not have the "Model 25" marking. On the contrary, it carries a build code of DU2. That "2" indicates a BARREL ONLY sold by the factory in September, 1927. Yet pre production model 25s were made in 1922. Serial 3 was made in 3/22, I believe, and 38 and 79 both were made in August of that year. These guns mentioned all are "AA" marked. The wood is what was used on the model 121, which did not exist until 1936. The 121 forearm on 7 is a type not used until around 1951. Prior to 1951, the forearm screws had a smaller locking screw in place. As to the bluing, I am going by pictures on gunbroker only, but let me say that I have never seen such excellent bluing on any rifles I've examined that were made in the period from the 1920s or 1930s. That includes C, D, and F grades...........tom
Tom, the "7" on the receiver, are you saying it is not a serial#, but a build number. We knew it wasn't a production model - my husband that is. So we are thinking it was a Remmington gunsmith, Remmington that had to build this gun because of the build stamp. Your thoughts?
umcpumpgun

Post by umcpumpgun »

I agree with Tom and nambujim the gun was pieced together. It has a 121 forarm and from what I can see in the pictures a 121 but stock the blue in his way to shiny for factory bluing factory blue and has more of a charcoal color to it and the white markings in the roll stamp die is a sure sign of gun tinkering. It is also possible if gun was refinished sn. could have been altered. Just wondering if sn. on recever matches sn. on trigger group??????
Mistclimber

Post by Mistclimber »

umcpumpgun wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 8:55 pm I agree with Tom and nambujim the gun was pieced together. It has a 121 forarm and from what I can see in the pictures a 121 but stock the blue in his way to shiny for factory bluing factory blue and has more of a charcoal color to it and the white markings in the roll stamp die is a sure sign of gun tinkering. It is also possible if gun was refinished sn. could have been altered. Just wondering if sn. on recever matches sn. on trigger group??????
Hi UMC... I'm not sure. Tom H. I hope it is ok to share our previous PM -

"Reading over your question, I think I should ad that I do think that the 7 is the original serial number. It is in the correct place and I am sure, from the pictures, is the correct stamping as used by Remington. Build codes consisted of two letters that were stamped on the barrel . They gave the month and the year that the rifle was assembled. The "2" indicates a barrel only sold by Remington. This is rarely seen. Indeed, in gathering information on over 4000 slide action Remingtons, I have only encountered a "2" less than 5 times. Far more often encountered is a "3" which a rifle "returned to the factory for repair". I think you rifle is unique in the story that goes with it and that would help the selling price. It is unique in that way........tom"

I'll bring that up to my husband and see his response. Thank you for your thoughts.