Model 12 what ammunition are people using?

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
aaronm1985

Model 12 what ammunition are people using?

Post by aaronm1985 »

Hello there everyone
I have recently inherited a model 12 rifle and would like to find out what aged ammunition people are buying and using? i am starting to run out of the old Super X ammo that i got with the rifle and have tried some of the ammo i bought for my brand new savage arms .22 rifle but the casings seem to be slightly larger in diameter for the bore of the model 12..

I don't currently have the rifle with me to give serial numbers or marking to confirm roughly what age it is, I live in Australia so ammo here may be different or unattainable. So I am kind of hope to get pointed in a general direction of what could be best..

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.
nambujim

Re: Model 12 what ammunition are people using?

Post by nambujim »

Hi!
If you are looking for accuracy I would suggest CCI Green Tag or their standard velocity ammunition. To that end..........any standard velocity ammunition will give you far greater accuracy than Super-X. I have several Model 12's and still use some really old Western Xpert left over from my days of competitive shooting. I helped a "gun writer" friend do group tests with twenty-three (23) different types of .22 Long Rifle Ammunition using everything from my Anschutz 1413, Winchester 69A, Model 12 Remington, and two others...............none were semi-automatic. The current variety of Super-X along with almost all the other high speed ammunition were at the bottom of the list for accuracy. I think the technical term would be "horrible"!

Of all the "reasonable" priced .22 Rimfire ammo the CCI Green Tag & Standard Velocity were near the top and with two of the rifles it was better than Eley Red Box.........go figure. Hope this helps and for the record the Model 12C used in the test was serial 180xxx using a Lyman R12 Tang Sight and a Lyman 17A aperture front sight.

Hope this helps!

Jim Peterson
Charlotte, NC
Jim Peterson
aaronm1985

Post by aaronm1985 »

Thank you it is much appreciated.. I'll have to see if those CCI rounds are available here and if they are what store closest to me stocks them. I am planning on contacting Remington Australia to do a serial number search to find out the manufacture date of it..

Again thank you for the information
nambujim

Post by nambujim »

Post the serial here and someone will get back at you with better info than Remington would have. I had a book on Model 12's with serial info and all but cannot find it............too much stuff.

Take care & behave!

Jim Peterson
Charlotte, NC
Jim Peterson
old tanker

Post by old tanker »

I have had really good results with CCI's quiet .22LR ammo. Works great on squirrels. A bit lower velocity that standard, but certainly works great in both my Remington rifles, a Model 12C and a Model 550-1.

http://www.cci-ammunition.com/products/ ... loadNo=960