Model 14 / .410 Shotgun

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
nambujim

Model 14 / .410 Shotgun

Post by nambujim »

While this highly modified rifle is for real, my posting the information on it is for entertainment value only. A really nice chap from Arkansas contacted me for some parts for this "thing" but when I started to ask questions, things became a little blurry so I asked for some pictures, and in the end purchased it from him for what parts I could salvage from it which in truth, weren't many.

The barrel has a wheel sight cut in it but the dovetail has been knurled over, the barrel is 24" and has a 1924 barrel code on it with an appropriate roll mark but not where you would see one on a Model 14 barrel. The barrel is clearly marked "35 REM" and is the shell head in the frame. The serial on the frame is 95xxx and there are so many modifications, it just blows your mind..............and would probably blow you up if you tried to fire a .35 Remington cartridge in it.

The loading door has been modified to accept a 44-40 or 38-40 both of which fit in the chamber as does a .410 shot shell but none of these will feed through the system, in fact it won't lock up with any of those cartridges. A .35 Remington will fall well down into the chamber. The barrel has been reamed out with just a hint of rifling and measures .390 at the muzzle. It also has a nicely mounted shotgun bead front sight.

The magazine tube is about twice the thickness of a smooth 14-1/2 tube and was machined from a solid piece of steel as was the follower inside the tube. The barrel band looks to be from something like a Model 92/94 Winchester and the whole bloody package is pretty scary.

All the work was obviously done a LONG time back, still not sure what
cartridge or shell it was designed for but as previously stated, both the 38-40 and 44-40 will load through the door but won't go any further, the .410 won't feed through the door but all will chamber but the bolt won't cycle with any of them. My concern here was to get this thing out of circulation but thought you might like to see and hear about this "Franken14".

Jim Peterson
Charlotte, NC
Attachments
Sep05_10.JPG
Sep05_10.JPG (111.82 KiB) Viewed 1356 times
Sep05_09.JPG
Sep05_09.JPG (116.82 KiB) Viewed 1356 times
Sep05_08.JPG
Sep05_08.JPG (121.07 KiB) Viewed 1356 times
Jim Peterson
rem141r

Re: Model 14 / .410 Shotgun

Post by rem141r »

it might be some kind of prototype. or somebodies hack job.

as a side note, i have seen a model 14 smooth bore. if i remember right it had a regular 14 barrel but a shotgun bead and was in 44/40. it certainly looked factory to me. the guy that had it said that it was a factory gun made for the remington shooting team.