Model 660 Reassembly

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
dhenzler

Model 660 Reassembly

Post by dhenzler »

I've been struggling with reassembly because of magazine parts being so difficult to control during assembly. The short cartridges require a spacer and that coupled with the follower, and the springy magazine box make it a two man job. My mag had developed almost imperceptible burr from wrong assembly. A couple swipes with a fine file was all that was needed to remove the burr. The little spacer wants to fall out, and the follower spring is so strong it pushes the whole assembly away from the receiver when you release pressure on it.

A third hand to apply pressure to the mag box while the stock is lowered onto the action helps greatly. Then the trigger guard can be lowered into place and screws tightened. The new metal trigger guard must be thinner because the rear screw now interferes with bolt closure. I'll have to remove the bolt, find out how much to grind off and shorten the bolt. The forward bolt was misaligned and so lifting the action slightly allowed it to start. I hope it is in better alignment now. Pillar bedding the action may be in order. We'll see how she shoots.

My project can be seen at http://24.172.105.90/z/660