14 1/2 validation

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
Eargesplitten

14 1/2 validation

Post by Eargesplitten »

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/635146524

A friend of mine just got this fine 14 /2 and feels it may not be original. My main question is the butt plate original to this rifle and next does it appear to be all original without any reblueing or wood refinishing. What does anyone see anything wrong other than the price paid

Thanks
nambujim

Re: 14 1/2 validation

Post by nambujim »

Without seeing it in person it is very hard to say but looks right and the those logo bakelite plates were used during that period but few survive because they become very brittle. Personally speaking I think he paid too much but again I believe (without seeing it in person) its right, the markings are very sharp/clean, and the butt plate is proper. Nice rifle!

The 14-1/2's are even more fussy about ammo than the 14's, mainly the concern is OACL. If reloading be sure to factory crimp the rounds.

Jim Peterson
Charlotte, NC
Jim Peterson
umcpumpgun

Re: 14 1/2 validation

Post by umcpumpgun »

Eargsplitten, I agreexpect with nambujim about the originality of the 14 1/2 rifle in question. You can see light wear on the correct for period butt plate and as Jim said are nearly always chipped and most busted. I have never seen a mint one for sale that had been taken off. The forearm is unfinished but butt stock looks like may have had a little finish rubbed over original finish. On of the give aways that the blue is correct is the area on bottom of action bar and loading gate near where it meets receiver. Most think it is case color,but I have been told by a lot of professional restoration people it is old school cyanide blue from the period,but I don't know for shure. People that attempt to refinish these guns never get that area right as well as the blue finished in the right color. I have several of these in very nice shape including get one I think is unfired,but as Jim said I could tell you in about 10 second s if I could look at it. And from what I see in the pics. I don't think the price is that far out of line,minty ones are very tough to find and are even tougher to buy when you locate one!!!!!! Looks like your friend had a keeper.