How to remove magazine ring on model 141

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
Gamemaster06

How to remove magazine ring on model 141

Post by Gamemaster06 »

Hello, I need to know how to remove the magazine ring on a Rem Model 141. Someone put an aftermarket one on there and painted it and it looks horrible. Id like to replace it with an original one. Any help would be appreciated
nambujim

Re: How to remove magazine ring on model 141

Post by nambujim »

Without viewing the bloody thing its hard to tell but first of all you need to remember that these rings "rotate" out and if the after market replacement wasn't installed properly the dovetail can be permanently messed up.

Let us assume the ring was put in properly (I wouldn't bet on it) and you have removed the action bar and magazine tube. For 40 years I have used a foot long 1/2" socket wrench extension to remove and replace these magazine rings. Slip it in about half way through the ring and apply pressure...............sometimes in the form of a dead blow hammer. The extension takes up most of the opening and ring should come out rather easy. The replacement or original in this case may or may not be a bit sloppy so you might have to do some light peening to the edge.

Just pray that the previous owner knew that the dovetail was a rotating type.

OH yeah, model 14 & 141 rings are NOT identical, the latter has a slightly higher elevation BUT in some instances an older ring will work...............nothing on these rifles is easy, 14 rings of course will work on the early 141's that used 14 barrels and the 141 "transition" barrels that had a magazine ring "boss" on the barrel.

Good luck!

Jim Peterson
Charlotte, NC
Jim Peterson
Gamemaster06

Post by Gamemaster06 »

Yeah the previous owner pretty much screwed me on this one. There is absolutely no dovetail left, all that was holding it in was some small peened over material. Looks like I'll have to cut some new dovetails in the barrel and figure out a way to put the ring back in.
nambujim

Post by nambujim »

What caliber is your rifle, you might be a lot better off with a new barrel, and go from there.
I have some 141 barrels...............let me know.

Jim
Jim Peterson