Remington Junior Special 521-T markings

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
blueliner

Remington Junior Special 521-T markings

Post by blueliner »

Hello All,

I have the subject rifle, recently acquired, and need to clarify some barrel markings. One is easy I think. It's a heart-like looking stamp and the number 26 on one side of the barrel.
The other side is the most important to me: the date of manufacture. I read " C TT " which would be April 1948 if I read the manufacture date codes on this site correctlly . However, on the second "T" there is an x or a + marking over the bottom of the T. What is that ? Also, I believe the other two stamps are Remington marks, one being a star.

The previous owner's father said he got the rifle new in 1954 at a retail store.
It has the Lyman 57RS sight and sling holders bit no sling. Fine wood and all bluing coverage. Slight crack at fore arm nose.

The value is all over the board on the various selling websites from $225 to $699. Any realistic price ideas ?

Any help is appreciated. I'm taking the rifle to the Antique Arms Show in Las Vegas next week.

Bill
Attachments
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_5ee9.jpg
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_5ee9.jpg (99.27 KiB) Viewed 3096 times
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_5ee5.jpg
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_5ee5.jpg (123.39 KiB) Viewed 3096 times
nambujim

Re: Remington Junior Special 521-T markings

Post by nambujim »

Nobody seems very interested in giving you a response but I think I have enough decent info to answer most of your many questions.

First of all the barrel code is indeed CTT, the other markings are Remington proof or inspectors marks. Its very possible the rifle sat around on a dealers shelf from 1948 to 1954 but just as likely your friend has the purchase date wrong.

As far as the sling goes they were usually a military style leather and is no surprise that its missing, really..................it would be 69 years old and unless taken care of and stored properly, disintegrated many years ago.

These were pretty decent well made target rifles for a young shooter just starting out, the fact it has Lyman sights is a nice upgrade. You can "Google" this rifle and probably get more information than I can provide.

When I started shooting as a junior in about 1948 you saw a few of these around and they were considered almost equal to a Model 75 Winchester.............that was an almost and the 75 was for a more advanced shooter. We try to avoid putting a dollar value on a piece, its difficult to do without seeing it but they are fairly rare. You see them on GB or at gun shows and the price will vary all over the place.

Jim Peterson
Charlotte, NC
Jim Peterson
nambujim

Post by nambujim »

Right now Gunbroker has one of these listed with a 1947 date complete with the sling which is in pretty sorry shape but the rifle is quite decent and they certainly bring a premium of the standard 521T. You might check it out but remember the price shown is what they are asking and not what it has sold for OR will sell for.

Jim Peterson
Sunny & warm Charlotte, NC
Jim Peterson
blueliner

Post by blueliner »

Jim,
Thanks very much for the information and sharing a bit of your insight.
Bill