leverevolution ammo in model 8, 35rem

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
gunhawk

leverevolution ammo in model 8, 35rem

Post by gunhawk »

I recently have a model 8 in .35 Rem and am wondering about using Hornady current production Leverevolution 200 gr. ammo in it.
Has anyone used it in your model 8? Just wondering if pressure is OK in this ammo for this gun. Thanks for any comments.
admin
Site Admin

Re: leverevolution ammo in model 8, 35rem

Post by admin »

Don't want to push you away the there's the Remington Society Model 8/81 specific forum which includes a lot of shooters.
http://thegreatmodel8.remingtonsociety.com/forums/
gunhawk

Post by gunhawk »

Yes, thank you. For some reason I can't determine, I have not been able to successfully register as a user on that forum, which I see has a lot of great info. and discussion. I can look at it, (forum) but can't participate, due to not being a registered user. Too bad, as I have a lot of interest in these great rifles.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

you are registered as "Catskill Tom"
gunhawk

Post by gunhawk »

Thank you, my mistake.
I appreciate your response, its an interesting and informative website.
nambujim

Post by nambujim »

I held off making any comment on this question but can't help myself. I work only on the Model 14/141 and Leverevolution cartridges are just about the worst thing you could use in those. The Model 14/141 specifically should NEVER use anything but jackjeted Round Nose bullets, not RNFP, not cast lead, and certainly not Leverevolution. The feed system is designed for RN ammunition and anything else can cause problems and while you might get away with using something different for a while, it will in time bite you where it hurts the most.

The Model 8 and the Model 14 were both designed around 1910 and somewhere in people's minds they think they should introduce 2015 technology, introducing it into an area where it's unwanted, and as far as I can see provides no actual benefit. While the feed system on a Model 8 may well accept this new round you need to ask yourself "why the hell take a chance". Does it provide any actual benefit over a 200gr RN round that has a long history of feeding properly?? Stick with what has been working well for 100 years and let the folks with Winchesters play with this new ammunition................but keep it the hell away from the Model 14/141!!!!

Jim Peterson
Charlotte, NC
Jim Peterson
gunhawk

Post by gunhawk »

I hear your words. Will look for the traditional ammo, the Rem. corelocts 200grains. Figure these have been shot out of these guns for decades, and safest way to go. Also, will look to use these bullets for reloading, which I plan on doing.