Question just got a model 12

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
BlueRidge141

Question just got a model 12

Post by BlueRidge141 »

Just picked this up at a gun shop the other day. I think it is in good shape for a gun made in 1912. I know this because I contacted Remington and found out the date as per the serial number. they said the gun is original, might be but it has a different barrel that I havent seem before. This is a round barrel that measures 24 inches from muzzel to reciever. It also has a hole that is threaded just infront of the magizene tube. Does not matter as long as it shoots. Heres some picks.

I have more pics to post but Photobucket is messing up! the serial number is 109517. The butt pad looks to be leather. I have read that the round barrel models are 22inch and the octagons were 24inch. This has a smaller rear sight that attaches with one screw , there is another threaded hole just in front of the sight. Anybody got any ideas as to what i have here? Thanks for helping, Scott
BlueRidge141

Re: Question just got a model 12

Post by BlueRidge141 »

More pics
BlueRidge141

Post by BlueRidge141 »

Another

BlueRidge141

Post by BlueRidge141 »

One more

ChuckD

Post by ChuckD »

I would say you have a Model 12, that has had the barrel replaced with a Model 121. I have one like this.
Look on the left side of the barrel near the receiver, there should be some code letters which will date the barrel.
There might even be a "3", indicating it was done at the factory. Most likely the original barrel was replaced after the supply of original 12's were gone, if it was factory work. Other wise it might just have been a gunsmith change. Since the butt plate isn't original, this might be the case.
BlueRidge141

Post by BlueRidge141 »

Thanks Chuck, I also believe it is a replacement barrel. It must have been done by a gunsmith as I don't see any numbers on the barrel.all I see is a mark on the barrel and one on the receiver to line them up. I have seen recently on gunbroker 2 model 12 with the same barrel for sale. I sent pics to the Remington historian and he stated that the gun was original and that some tried to replace the mag tube hence the new hole in front of mag tube. Makes no sense to me as I have found two other guns on gunbroker with the same hole. Could it be the gun be original from Remington with that barrel on it? I don't know. I only paid 150.00 for it. Thanks Scott
Gamemaster32

Post by Gamemaster32 »

That's interesting. I too wonder if it could've been done by the factory.

I have a very early Model 121 with a 23" round bbl. which has the same "old-style" Model 12 bbl. inscription as well as a repair code (3). No errant holes or filled holes anywhere...No indication of it having been cut, etc. Never even noticed the 1" shorter bbl. until I stood it upright with some other Model 121s. No flat cut muzzle; front sight is same distance from muzzle; finish/wear is uniform. The strange thing is I thought round Model 12 barrels were 22"'; how did mine end up with a 23"? The bbl. codes are 1935. Factory "transitional" rifle perhaps?