Rem. 14R TNS dating...

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
neverguided

Rem. 14R TNS dating...

Post by neverguided »

Hi guys, I'm looking for a little more information, both on my carbine specifically, and the thumbnail safety feature. I own a Model 14R in 25 Rem. with the TNS. It has no barrel code, no Model 14 markings, etc. The serial number is in the 69,000 range. What year was this one manufactured, and what is the source of your dating? Also, during what years or range of serial numbers was this feature in production? Thanks!
nambujim

Re: Rem. 14R TNS dating...

Post by nambujim »

Your rifle dates to about 1919 based on the serial number range. TNS guns have serials all over the place which is complicated by the fact they made a whole lot more frames than they did actual TNS guns. I mean there are known examples in the 29,000 range that have the TNS cut on the frame, and really late improvements but no TNS bolt.

There have been published charts on what are considered to be be estimated serial numbers over the years but there are MANY exceptions because Remington did NOT make these or many other models in exact serial number sequence. A 14R TNS is a pretty rare gun and in .25 even more rare so treasure it.

Hope this helps, Tom Hemphill may weigh in and give you a few more specifics on just which years actual TNS production took place but Remington threw nothing out and they used frames with TNS cuts on them a long time after they quit making bolts for them.

Jim Peterson
Charlotte, NC
Jim Peterson
neverguided

Re: Rem. 14R TNS dating...

Post by neverguided »

Once again Jim, thank you for the quick and thorough reply.

This particular carbine has the TNS cut-out, TNS bolt, and primary safety on the trigger guard. The serial number is located on the lower receiver, inside of the upper receiver, and top of the bolt.

The bore is real nice, so I'll be putting this one on paper soon with the standby 117 gr. Hornady RN.

Thanks again.