Possible Model 12? PLEASE HELP!

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
SWAGshooter

Possible Model 12? PLEASE HELP!

Post by SWAGshooter »

I acquired two rifles from my now-deceased Grandfather, one of which is rollmarked "Remington" and the other is a single-shot, swing breech .22 rollmarked "H.M. Quackenbush", which research suggests is called the ".22 Safety Cartridge Rifle".

The Remington is a pump-action .22 rifle, 21"-22" smooth round barrel (from the receiver, not the threaded end inside) with tubular magazine underneath the barrel. The patina on the receiver and barrel, plus the condition of the wood stock and forend, suggests it is at least 60-70 years old. Per research on the Internet, I am fairly sure it is a Model 12, probably a "B" variant. The number stamped on the underside of the receiver in front of the magazine tube is "RW (above the number) 37096". ".22 Short, Long, or Long Rifle" is stamped on the top left side of the barrel (muzzle downrange) between the receiver and the rear sight (non-leaf type, just a simple spring steel piece cut out and screwed into the barrel, windage adjustable only, I believe. It is definitely not a leaf spring type with steps for elevation. Despite having zero oil in it, the action slides almost like my custom 870 Police Magnum built by a pre-Wilson Combat Scattergun Technologies: smooth with authority.

There are no other identifying marks on either the barrel or the receiver other than the rollmarked "Remington Arms Company, Ilion, NY U.S.A." with "Pedersen's Patents Jany5 1909 Other Patents Pending" underneath. Per the Remington website, there is no 2 or 3 digit letter code on the barrel itself to determine year and month of manufacture.

As for the second rifle, it is an HM Quackenbush ".22 Safety Cartridge Rifle", single shot. I am aware that the Quackenbush is not manufactured by Remington, but I did read that HM Quackenbush was employed by Remington in the mid- to late 1800's, and the Safety Rifle was manufactured from 1886-1922(?). The rollmark lists only the 1886 date of patent with no serial number or any other identifying marks whatsoever, except maybe proof marks somewhere. I am hoping that someone here may actually know a thing or three about this quirky side-swing breech toe popper. A call to HMS Metal Refinishing yielded absolutely less than zero :lol:

Finally, I imagine .22 LR Standard or subsonic velocity ammo should be just fine if I decide to test-fire the Remington. I plan to disassemble and shine up the interior and grease and oil it, but not clean up the exterior except for a wipe-down. There is no rust on it; it kept surprisingly well, considering it was just sitting open in the closet and hasn't been seen for at least 15 years since he died, but the brown patina of age and time makes it look classy and special...just like the original owner looked! The Quackenbush has some pitting and nickel finish deterioration, but it looks like normal age and wear and tear, again with surprisingly no/very little rust, if any.

I would be interested in selling them as well, any guidance for doing this or interested buyers, please feel free to annoy me with any and all questions/tips. I do live in Los Angeles in the Drakonian Republik of Kommi-fornia, so these are considered a "high-cap assault rifle" and a "rapid-reload sniper rifle". Can be a concealed weapon too, since they can be taken apart with a turn of the knobs :lol: Just kidding folks!

Thanks in advance for any help, the pics I have of the Remington are too large to post here, but I can send them to anyone via normal email through purple_evh_wolfie@yahoo.com
SWAGshooter

Re: Possible Model 12? PLEASE HELP!

Post by SWAGshooter »

UPDATE: Remington was kind enough to get back to me rather quickly and here is more info for any interested parties. The rifle is confirmed as a Model 12A and manufactured in 1910. As I'm new to the whole rimfire rifle category, I'm completely in the dark as to collector value and interest, so if anyone has more information or has interest in this, please feel free to message or email me, thanks
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The safety original sold for $7 and dropped down to around $4.50 by the 1900's to compete price wise with other manufactures of boys rifles, there's also a junior version.

Is this 18 or 22 inch, made a big difference in the price ;)
About 25 cents!

Nickel or Blue, Nickel being an option.

Sears had them under $4 by 1908.
SWAGshooter

Post by SWAGshooter »

Regarding the Quackenbush Safety Rifle, it is the 22" barrel. Indicators seem to place around 1890's
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

SWAGshooter wrote:Regarding the Quackenbush Safety Rifle, it is the 22" barrel. Indicators seem to place around 1890's
The second is from Sears 1904.
Attachments
Quackenbush.jpg
Quackenbush.jpg (175.46 KiB) Viewed 2367 times
SWAGshooter

Post by SWAGshooter »

Interested in buying it? It's for sale, not for those prices though :lol:
Looking at about $150 for it, finish is aged and no pitting in the metal (some cracks in the wood around the s rew heads though). It was a Closet Queen, probably been fired a few times early on. Bore is clean and rifling is good as far as I can see. Will post pics tonight
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

If your selling I'd recommend gunbroker.com or gunsinternational.com but $150 is pretty much dollar for a quackenbush unless it's very minty.
SWAGshooter

Post by SWAGshooter »

Ok, good to know, thank you for the advice!