Question about Remington Model 25s

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
54bullseye

Question about Remington Model 25s

Post by 54bullseye »

Years ago I read some where about Mod. 25s that were marked with " property West Cook County ILL. Bankers Fed" . Does any one know where I might find that info or know any thing about them ? I know I saw it but could have been 10 years ago !!! Please refresh my memory !!! John Taylor
nambujim

Re: Question about Remington Model 25s

Post by nambujim »

I purchased one marked as such from Simpson's in Galesburg, IL. I'm from the Chicago area so it was of interest to me, sold it along with my other M25's several years ago.

Jim Peterson
Charlotte, NC
Jim Peterson
nambujim

Post by nambujim »

I should have mentioned that Tom Hemphill has a data base on the Model 25, he will see this posting eventually, and might get back at you if he finds any that are so marked.

Jim
Jim Peterson
54bullseye

Post by 54bullseye »

nambujim wrote:I purchased one marked as such from Simpson's in Galesburg, IL. I'm from the Chicago area so it was of interest to me, sold it along with my other M25's several years ago.

Jim Peterson
Charlotte, NC
Did you ever research the gun ?? Was it protection for the bank ??? If so they were under gunned !!!! What do you think the approximate value would be in say 85 to 90% condition ??
Thanks for getting back to me ! John Taylor PS this one I am looking at might have been yours ? You remember serial # ???
nambujim

Post by nambujim »

Somewhere in my records I might have the serial but think it was in 23xxx range. We try not to appraise things on the site but an 85-90% M25 with that type of info on it wouldn't be cheap. I have no doubt the banking facility used it for protection/defense but a lot of M25's were used in prisons as well both here and in Canada. I have had numerous Model 14's that had police, prison, bank, and railroad ID on them. The advantage the M25 had was that it was light and easy to carry, still is an elegant firearm, and one of the best Remington ever made.

Jim
Jim Peterson
nambujim

Post by nambujim »

I have an older copy of Tom's data base and it shows a number of guns from various counties in Illinois marked like: Property Stephenson County Illinois Bankers Federation..............Peoria, etc. and serials all over the place. Also shows a LOT of them for a prison in Indiana. This data base is NOT for general distribution.

JP
Jim Peterson
old tanker

Post by old tanker »

Did you ever research the gun ?? Was it protection for the bank ??? If so they were under gunned !!!! What do you think the approximate value would be in say 85 to 90% condition ??
Thanks for getting back to me ! John Taylor PS this one I am looking at might have been yours ? You remember serial # ???[/quote]

Undergunned? .32-20 high velocity loads available in the Thirties did not give much way to the .32 WSL. Plenty of police agencies and prisons were using Winchester '05 carbines. The Kentucky State Police hung on to their Winchester '07s in .351 WSL well into the Sixties. I'd venture that it has greater effective range and hits harder than an MP5 if not quite as tacti-cool!
nambujim

Post by nambujim »

There are several of these out there marked with various cities in Illinois.

................and I think Cook County would have had a number of them.

Never researched it.

Jim
Jim Peterson
Tom H

Post by Tom H »

The only one I have listed for West Cook County on my database is 11949, and it was made in August, 1924. It sold on Little John's Auction a few years ago. It is my understanding that these guns were largely kept in the bank's vault for protection during a robbery. All that I have listed, whether for a bank or a federal prison, were in 25-20 caliber. If one thinks of the gun as underpowered, I can personally attest that when used with 60 grain hollow points, it was and is very lethal on deer....tom hemphill
NRA Benefactor Member
54bullseye

Post by 54bullseye »

Tom
My name is John Taylor and I recently bought a model 25 that appears to be a C grade or high grade from the custom shop. It has very nice hand checkering on both pump handle and wrist and also a capped pistol grip on stock. Cap is similar to what they used on the 725s. I saw a picture you had in the book on 14s / 141s and 25s of a 25 carbine you said was a C grade and this looks very much the same but standard length. I just got it so no pics yet but if your interested in seeing it I will take pictures this week end. Have you seen many ? Please let me know back. John Taylor