replace barrel 12c remington

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
finisher

replace barrel 12c remington

Post by finisher »

Hi Fellers, I would like to make a rifle from parts. I have an Octagon barrel and the receiver. I noticed the reference marks on the barrel and the receiver I assume they should line up when seated. Hand tighten and its about a thread out with a gap. First are all barrels interchangeable? :(
nambujim

Re: replace barrel 12c remington

Post by nambujim »

I am going to step out of my Model 14 "comfort zone" here and tell you what I know and that is Model 12 barrels are indeed interchangeable just like those of the Model 14. The bonus being the M12 does have reference marks but then I have only changed barrels on two (2) Model 12's and they were both for a 12C.

My concern for you making a rifle from "assorted" parts is the Model 12 has one thing in common with the Model 14 and that is both rifles are VERY parts specific. If you can find a bolt, stop, carrier, and trigger guard from one rifle you have an excellent chance of putting together a functional piece. Like the Model 14, the Model 12's parts were hand fit to that specific rifle, and again like the Model 14 they made a lot of changes over time................not as many as the Model 14 but still enough to make your job annoying as hell.

John Gyde will probably weigh in here with a more educated view but I would beware of trying to assemble a working rifle using assorted parts.

Good Luck!

Jim Peterson
Charlotte, NC
Jim Peterson
finisher

Post by finisher »

Indeed I have noticed 3 different cartridge carriers alone. Along with 2 different action bars.
finisher

Post by finisher »

So far I have got one to work totally out of the 4 that I am trying to build. The second one is almost there by that I mean when it feeds it will only go up so far then jam before it reaches the bore. Cleaned the bolt head have not looked at the extractor for any burrs yet. With both rifles there is a solid hit from the firing pins. Got replacement flat firing pins from Wisners the length might need shaved down a bit in the front since all of his parts are over sized and need fitted. Ejection is no problem for either one flies out a good 8 ft at the 2:00 position. One of them had a bolt with a round firing pin. Think it was just thrown in there with it cause the ejectors on all the trigger guards are the spring steel clips on the rear of the trigger guards. Would that round firing pin bolt have had a round plunger type ejector?