I can't find the information I need on the Remington 514

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
Silver61

I can't find the information I need on the Remington 514

Post by Silver61 »

Hi everyone.
So far Remington has not been any help and the other information I have been able to find through other means conflicts. I didn't think it would be this hard to find a few things out but I know how thinking goes. What I would like to know is how many types of the 514's were made. I have an article from the American Rifleman June 1970 by F. G. Hart. He lists the following:
514A 24 3/4" Barrel
514P (Peep Sight) 24 3/4" Barrel
514BC (Boys Carbine) 20" Barrel And A Stock That Is One Inch Shorter Than The 514A
He then states that the current versions are:
514A 24" Barrel
514BR (Boys Rifle) 24" Barrel And A Stock One Inch Shorter Than The 514A

He never said what the length of the 514A stock was or when they made the change to the current versions.

I know there was a 514 Smooth bore with a Rutledge barrel. I also know there was a falling out between Remington and Rutledge so Rutledge stopped selling the barrels to Remington, I should say I think I know. Did Remington make Smooth Bore 514's after that?

I know there were:
Two types of safety's
Two types of triggers
Three types of trigger guards
What I don't know is when they changed over to each one.

Any idea where I can find the answers to what types of 514's were made and when the different changes took place. All I could get from Remington was all the barrels were 24" long. I guess they didn't keep any records other then they started making them some time in 1948 and stopped some time in 1970.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.
Mark