Older Remington 700ADL synthetic (monte carlo blk syn stock)

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
mtnhiker

Older Remington 700ADL synthetic (monte carlo blk syn stock)

Post by mtnhiker »

I asked about the limited production Remington 700RS in another thread, I didnt get any responses, but I did eventually find the answer to my Q from other sources online. Here I will pose another limited production question, probably harder to find info on it.
Its not something I've ever seen for sale in any used sections, no photos anywhere of it online that I can find in fact. I only have recollection from an old Davidsons catologue I used to own, as well as having handled one example in a gunstore when I was growing up. I'd like to know if anyone else is familiar with this, what I believe to be the original synthetic M700 ADL? It was a black synthetic stock, but not the straight comb sporter style started in the late 90s or 2000. This stock was exactly a duplicate of the walnut monte carlo style comb and buttstock, including having the angled forend tip like the wooden ADL stocks made in the 80s/90s/ so on. The synthetic adl was black finish stock, and I distinctly remember it from high school, seeing it as mentioned above, in Davidson's catologe as either "new for 1994" or 1995 graphic under it. I no longer have one of those old catalogues anymore, therefore I can't post a picture or other info. All I can say is I sort-of recollect, (more than 20 years ago), that the description might have said either black rynite or arylon stock. Its possible it just mentioned synthetic, but I thought the description may have specified more on the material. This was the time frame of the stainless synthetic BDL 24", and also the stainless synthetic mountain rifle 22", and I think the stock might have been basically the same material as those stocks, but again with the monte carlo style, whereas the stainless synthetic BDL stocks were straight comb and slender rounded forend. This older synthetic ADL may have been in production only one or two years, because if I remember correctly at least as early as 1999, the straight comb sporter style black synthetic ADLs were sold and continued a long production run into the 2000s, until the SPS replaced them. As to this earlier ADL, before I was old enough to own a rifle I was saving up for my first in order to get one when I turned 18. I was in a gun store I believe age 17, and held one of these ADLs. It was as I described monte carlo style stock, flat bottomed forend with angled front just like a wooden stock ADL of the same time frame. It was black plastic, fairly stiff, and raised molded checkering in the pattern like the wooden ADL, or at least I recall raised checkering, and the rest of the stock somewhat smooth matte finish. Its possible the checkering couldve been molded inset into the stock vs raised. It was rougher feel checkering than later tupaware stocks. I also remember it having a smooth knob bolt handle, though not exactly affirmative since again more than 20 years ago, and that wasn't something that would concern me one way or the other as to be something to remember strongly, though it is interesting thinking back, because I have since figured that the smooth bolt knobs were long out of use by the mid 90s on any Remington 700s.
Long story short had I figured it wouldnt have continued in production very long before Remington switched to the classic sporter style stock ADL synthetic, I sure as hell wouldve bought that monte carlo version, it was a sweet little setup! I think that particluar model in the store was a short action 308, and I was looking for either a 270 or 30-06. I'm certain that's why I passed on it and saved up for a mountain rifle.

Ive heard some say that the stocks on the stainless synthetic rifle from mid 90s was an Six Enterprises arylon stock, same as the earlier 90s M700AS arylon stock.
Others have said the stainless synthetic were the first gen tuppaware stocks. I've held them as well as that early synthetic ADL, they felt similar texture and heft and rigidity I thought better than the later ADLs and SPS stocks. I don't think the current SPS beavertail stocks are half bad, but the older stiffer synthetics I believe are a tad better.
Sorry for long story. If this is all old boring info I apologize, seems to be the case regarding the earlier thread about the M700RS.