Model 14 1/2 .44 rem.

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
cmax

Model 14 1/2 .44 rem.

Post by cmax »

jap 005.JPG
jap 005.JPG (188.35 KiB) Viewed 4615 times
HI,i just purchased a Model 14 1/2 in the .44 rem.My question is what is the normal LOP on the stock? Someone put an ugly padded buttpad on it so was wondering if they may have cut the stock as I would like to try and find the correct buttplate for it,it does have a crescent shape.
The Gamemaster

Re: Model 14 1/2 .44 rem.

Post by The Gamemaster »

Looking at the picture, I would predict that the stock is unmolested.

Finding a original butt plate - good luck!

Nice find! 8)
cmax

Post by cmax »

Thanks for the info,I do not know much about them but do know that so far no luck on a buttplate.Another thing I wondered is do you think the checkering on the pistol grip is original as so far I have not seen any other out of all the pics I have looked at while trying to find what the buttplate should look like.
nambujim

Post by nambujim »

The buttplate would have been either "bakelite" or checkered steel, both would have had the Remington logo on them or UMC as the case might be. Bakelite plates were very brittle and few survive intact but Vintage Gun Grips in Florida make a spot on match in Nylon but they do indeed have to be fit to the stock which requires some talent and work, finding original attaching screws is also difficult. Vintage Gun Grips part number for the plate that fits your rifle is 12a............yes 12a.

Metal plates are available and I post some for sale from time to time on Gunbroker, I have also seen them on Ebay. A plate will run you about $75 but like the Bakelite plate they use a very specific screw that is difficult to find. Yes, that is one ugly recoil pad or whatever it is and totally stupid since these rifles have little in the way of recoil so its more likely it was installed to lengthen the stock. Great rifles, accurate, and fun to shoot. If reloading, OACL is critical .......... a bit shorter is always better and a hair too long will jam in the feed system.

Jim Peterson
Charlotte, NC
Jim Peterson
cmax

Post by cmax »

Thank you,if you ever have one for sale message me please.
umcpumpgun

Post by umcpumpgun »

Cmax, Always glad to see new faces on the forum. Like Jim said the replica nylon butt plate will fit and look period even though it duplicates a mod 12 .22. It does require fitting. Boiling in hot water it can be bent to fit. Yes the big head small screw original are impossible to find but I have used a dremil tool to grind down large Wood screw to the correct head shape and cold blue them. Not perfect but will work. They are cheap and enough can practice. I think the reproductions are about 20$
cmax

Post by cmax »

Thank you I really appreciate your taking the time to respond and your suggestion, as in looking at the plastic repos I wondered how they would work as they looked flat,did not even think of boiling them.I recently retired and have had more time to look for tired old firearms and bring them back to a shoot-able condition.I know this is a Remington site but thought the members might like to see my latest tribute project to my Dad and all WWII Vets.
Attachments
m1 garand 001.JPG
m1 garand 001.JPG (169.77 KiB) Viewed 4586 times
umcpumpgun

Post by umcpumpgun »

Probably the most important and dependable semi auto invented
cmax

Post by cmax »

Well I got a after market butt plate and got it fitted looks pretty good.Now I went out to shoot and I have a problem,the cartridge does not want to feed up into the chamber,feeds fine from the tube but will not go into the chamber?Any help would be appreciated.
nambujim

Post by nambujim »

The most likely cause is your "carrier dog" is not functioning, it is the little flippy thing just in front of the trigger assembly in the trigger guard. The "dog" should flip back/forth with great enthusiasm, it activates the carrier that lifts the cartridge up and into the bolt.
If the "dog" spring is missing or has lost its spring then it is not working and the rifle will not feed. That is my best guess. Also be sure your ammo is not too long, just a hair too long will affect the feed.

Jim Peterson
Charlotte, NC
Jim Peterson
cmax

Post by cmax »

Thank you,I will check that out and also the ammo.
cmax

Post by cmax »

rem14 001.JPG
rem14 001.JPG (138.81 KiB) Viewed 4540 times
rem14 002.JPG
rem14 002.JPG (168.9 KiB) Viewed 4540 times
rem14 003.JPG
rem14 003.JPG (151.18 KiB) Viewed 4540 times
ok just got around to checking out the carrier dog,I have included a few pics to see if I am looking at the right thing,the first pic is the part I am thinking you are talking about and when pushed down it does not spring back up.I then took it down and showed a full pic of the part,on the carrier dog assembly there is a slide on the side that goes back and forth when pushed and that does spring back.So my question is am I looking at the right part and if so it looks as if a spring is missing and any idea as to a part number or actual name of the spring I need.Thanks again
cmax

Post by cmax »

mod143 001.JPG
mod143 001.JPG (183.72 KiB) Viewed 4539 times
another pic of the underside of the trigger ass. does this look right or is this where the spring should go?
cmax

Post by cmax »

Well I think after looking at a schematic on numrich I may have figured it out? It looks as if the carrier dog spring is broken and the carrier dog is missing? Not sure but if anyone see's something different that I am missing I would appreciate your in put.Thank you.
nambujim

Post by nambujim »

The carrier dog spring is "shot" and the carrier dog is totally missing.

I replace these on a regular basis if you want to send the guard to me for repair.
I charge $53 including the return postage plus parts which would be about $25. I can install the stuff properly but no way of telling how it works without the entire rifle, chances are it will be just fine....................it sure isn't going to work the way it is and I diagnosed it for free!

Jim Peterson
Charlotte, NC
Jim Peterson