Model 141 odd barrel markings

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
4570GOVT

Model 141 odd barrel markings

Post by 4570GOVT »

I recently purchased a 32 caliber model 141. On the left side of the barrel there are two lines of what appear to be manufacture date info instead of one. The top line is K XX 3 which I interpret to be May of 1950. Underneath that the line has a symbol resembling an hour glass on its side then K WW and then another symbol. I interpret this to be May 1951. Can anyone explain the double markings?, factory repair perhaps? It also appears to have a factory left hand safety installed. Any info would be appreciated.
600RemGuy

Re: Model 141 odd barrel markings

Post by 600RemGuy »

I would tend to agree other than the order of the symbols doesn't follow later examples. Maybe someone else has something similar from the same era that can confirm
Wulfman

Post by Wulfman »

4570GOVT wrote:I recently purchased a 32 caliber model 141. On the left side of the barrel there are two lines of what appear to be manufacture date info instead of one. The top line is K XX 3 which I interpret to be May of 1950. Underneath that the line has a symbol resembling an hour glass on its side then K WW and then another symbol. I interpret this to be May 1951. Can anyone explain the double markings?, factory repair perhaps? It also appears to have a factory left hand safety installed. Any info would be appreciated.
My interpretation would (also) be that it was built in 1950 ( WW ) and returned for repairs in 1951 ( XX ). From what I've read on the forum, the digit "3" is used for designating repairs of some kind. And, it was probably not a barrel replacement.......hence the double lines of codes. In this case, it was probably for changing the safety.

Den

4570GOVT

Post by 4570GOVT »

Thanks for the input. I also noticed that on the left side of the trigger guard the number 33 is stamped as well as two symbols that are the same as the ones on either side of the 1951 date code on the barrel. I am not sure if this would confirm the suspected meaning of the extra line of stamps.
nambujim

Post by nambujim »

The "3" symbol means "returned to the factory for repair", the code in front of it is the date the repair took place.

Jim Peterson
Charlotte, NC
Jim Peterson