Remington 760 date code

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
gemboat

Remington 760 date code

Post by gemboat »

I have a 760 with the following stamps on left bbl.....4 O M B......the O could be zero or the letter O, not sure.....the serial number is 443XXX .....trying to get the year of manufacture......
Wulfman

Re: Remington 760 date code

Post by Wulfman »

gemboat wrote:I have a 760 with the following stamps on left bbl.....4 O M B......the O could be zero or the letter O, not sure.....the serial number is 443XXX .....trying to get the year of manufacture......
The stock style would also be a clue, too.
But, I would say that it's "O M" and is July of 1965.
It's "O" (oh) not "0" (zero).
The month letters are "B-L-A-C-K-P-O-W-D-E-R-X"
There is no month with the letter "M", so "M B" isn't logical.

Den

600RemGuy

Post by 600RemGuy »

What Den said. B is the assembler. 4 will be the final inspector.

Brad
The Gamemaster

Post by The Gamemaster »

Although a unmolested rifle's age can be predicted by the codes stamped on the barrel, I would be hesitant on insisting that it is of a certain generation until I looked at both the serial number and the barrel code.

There has been times where I had a particular barrel and a certain action that were of value to me, and I combined the two to get the one rifle that I wanted, and then sold what I did not.

This did not affect ballistic accuracy as much as it did the actual generation of the firearm.

Putting a Model 7600 stock on a 760 or putting a 760 stock on a 7600.
Putting an ADL barrel on a BDL action etc.

Most people takes it for granted that just because it came with this stock or barrel when they bought it, that it is the original stock or action.

Sometimes you will find additional marks where a rifle was returned back to the factory for repairs and was returned back to the customer - none the wiser.

The 760 is now to the point of where it has not been manufactured in 34 years, and the probability of finding new old stock, or something in mint condition is very hard to do. It is easier to just locate a couple of donor rifles and make what you want then what it is to find one "Holy Grail".

At this point, The Millennial Generation is not interested in purchasing this type of "old technology", and a lot of the older rifles are now being sold / traded / given away, just to get one of the newer AR / .223 type rifles.
There isn't much appreciated value placed on a pump rifle today.
Not to say that things might change down the road if the government decides to make military style firearms illegal.
The Gamemaster

Post by The Gamemaster »

With the earliest model of 760 Gamemaster now exceeding 60 yrs. old, it is not uncommon for a rifle of this generation to have had 2 / 3 / maybe even 4 owners.

Most of the rifles in my collection - 8 at the present time, only 1 I know of - my dad's, was purchased new, and I still have the original box and sales receipt.

The other 7 rifles, I was the 2nd or 3rd owner - at least!

At this point, I place less emphasis on when it was made, and a lot more emphasis on what condition it is in. Is the stock scratched, is the action missing the bluing?
Does the barrel have rust on it? what condition is the clip in? Does the clip fit? Does the action feed well? Does the slide drop and the action come open when I press the release lever on the trigger guard?

If the action is gummed up, is the action full of dirt, leaves, lint?
How does the dust cover look? is it gouged, is it loose, is it broke?

Is there any screws that are missing or have been replaced with something else?

Does it still have both open sights? What brand / model of sling studs does it have?
How does the trigger function? Is the trigger creepy?
If you are going to use it for deer hunting, you don't want a 3 lbs pull trigger!
Something that can be accidentally discharged if you forget to put the safety back on, or if it is dropped or a branch activates the trigger while you are walking in the woods. These are things that most people never thinks about!