Remington 700 in .280 caliber

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
Phil_W

Remington 700 in .280 caliber

Post by Phil_W »

I just done some trading and got a good deal on a early 90's Remington 700 factory dipped Mossy Oak Bottomland rifle in .280 caliber. I've decided to keep this rifle and do some deer hunting with it. I went to the local sporting good stores to buy ammo and no one has any. I get online and find that most ammo dealers don't even have it, especially the 140 gr. Remington Accu-Tip or Federal Premium 140 gr. Nosler Ballistic tip. Well I decided I would just hand load me some 140 gr Nosler Ballistic Tips and be done. Well. now I can't find any brass! Have I made a mistake trading for an excellent caliber rifle that no one makes brass or ammo for anymore? Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Attachments
IMG_20160330_095916775.jpg
IMG_20160330_095916775.jpg (224.77 KiB) Viewed 1743 times
Wulfman

Re: Remington 700 in .280 caliber

Post by Wulfman »

There isn't much brass available in hardly any hunting calibers anymore. And, what there is available has gotten very expensive.
So, a person just needs to be a little creative in these times.

.270 Winchester brass is still available (sort of), so buy some of it (if you don't already have some) and run it through the .280 die and make sure it's got a little shoulder to support the cartridge.......and fireform it (or it will fireform when it is fired).
I've done it on a limited basis in the past and it worked. The case length is already essentially the same, so all you need to do is trim and chamfer it.

http://www.midwayusa.com/s?userSearchQu ... ster+brass

The "trick" is to buy everything you can (in large quantities) before it becomes scarce or disappears. I stocked up on lots of stuff 15 - 25 years ago.......and had lots of stuff even before that. I've been reloading for almost 50 years. I've resized lots of .30-06 and .270 brass into .25-06, .30-30 Win. into .25-35 Win. and others, too.

Den

The Gamemaster

Re: Remington 700 in .280 caliber

Post by The Gamemaster »

Not for advertising purposes, but Grice Gun Shop and Bob's Army and Navy stores - both in Clearfield, Pennsylvania, can sell you as much .280 ammo or brass as your little heart desires.

Not knowing where you are from, it is hard for me to remark where you had looked in the past for new ammo or reloading components.

Not quite sure, but most Cabella's should also have what you are looking for.