Remington Number 4 Rolling Block Question

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
Eliphant

Remington Number 4 Rolling Block Question

Post by Eliphant »

My twin boys just turned 5 and I wanted to get them started off with a nice .22 single shot rifle so I bought them a Remington Rolling Block model 4, sn 323XXX. I am not an expert on these and given the age I had a few questions on what was original and what had been modified over the years. I bought the gun knowing that the barrel had been relined. I understand that I am just the keeper of this and would like to get it as close to original as possible.

1.       The rear sight has a stepped ramp for height adjustment. My understanding is it should be a screw adjusted sight. Is the screw adjustment correct of or is this during a transition and the ramp is correct?

2.       The muzzle crown seems very round. Is this correct for this period or was this a hack job when it was relined?

3.       The forend has an octagon shape inside yet the barrel is round. I believe having a round barrel is correct for a screw takedown model. Did they use a octagon forend on round barrels or is one of the parts a replacement part?

4.       There is a very heavy chamfer under the chamber that does not seem to line-up with anything that needs clearance and notch under the barrel that also does not seem to line-up with anything. Is this correct or is this a different Remington barrel fit to this action?

5.       Either way I am thinking of having a long octagon barrel fitted to the action that I would use as a second barrel since it is a takedown model. I was going to mount a beech sight and then use a tang sight with the existing holes in the action. Any suggestion of barrel or smiths?

Thanks for the help everyone.