30 REM light loads

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
Jake007

30 REM light loads

Post by Jake007 »

What recipe should I use for a light shooting Model 8 30-30 or Model 14 in 30 REM? My old recipe book calls for HiVel2, long gone! Thanks in advance.
nambujim

Re: 30 REM light loads

Post by nambujim »

If you are looking for a really light load you can try 13-15gr of 5744, it's almost like shooting a .22 Rimfire............no recoil but doubt it will work the action in a Model 8. It's also a pretty clean burning, I've been using it for plinking at 75 yards with "several" of my Model 14's. Makes sighting in easy without the wear and tear on your shoulder.

Jim Peterson
Charlotte, NC
Jim Peterson
Jake007

Post by Jake007 »

JIm,
Thank you so much for your reply and suggestion. I will try this as soon as I can get the powder. The best to you and be sure to have ........ Happy Trails!
Dan Duke
Jake007

Post by Jake007 »

Jim,
What bullet were you using with that load in 30REM ?
Thanks,
Dan
nambujim

Post by nambujim »

I had some 110, 130g RN stuff from God only knows where but ended up using 150g RN. And by the way............Buffalo Arms has the latter in stock or at least they did yesterday. I cannot claim full responsibility for the loads but worked with a "gun writer" friend who was experimenting with loads for an article he did some years back. I ended up using 13gr 5744 with the 150g Bullet, it was by far the most accurate! The lighter weight stuff didn't group nearly as well.
Jim Peterson
Jake007

Post by Jake007 »

Jim,
What bullet were yiu using in that recipe?
Thanks,
Dan
Jake007

Post by Jake007 »

Sorry Jim, I stuttered there!
Thank you again for this information. I am a novice at reloading but really enjoying the ride, so far! I have a couple of 25 Rem's but want to try this 30 REM and a little lighter punch on the shoulder will be encouraging! You sound like a very interesting fellow and I'll bet we could talk a long time over this REM stuff and a few Miller lites!
My son and I enjoyed the fall 15' seminar with the Remington folks, just didn't get enough time to talk to those knowledgeable people.
Thanks again for all your help.
Dan
nambujim

Post by nambujim »

Dan!
Yes, I would appear to be "an interesting guy" but truly I'm just a guy with a wealth of useless information on the Model 14 & 141. I am good at repairing them because I have a "ton" of parts. I am also lucky to have friends in the person(s) of Ken Blauch & tom Hemphill who have shared their knowledge with me. Since you are "new" to reloading for the Model 14 you need to remember these rifles should only be fed ROUND NOSE bullets and be sure to use a factory crimp die (Lee makes a good one and its cheap). Set your dies using a factory round, OACL is critical.....really critical with all calibers in this rifle, the shorter the better AND after 40-50 rounds remove the butt plate and snug up the stock bolt otherwise the stock will flex against the bolt and crack. The stock is weak to begin with, this practice will help lessen cracking.

These rifles are brutal to brass and you will be lucky to get 4-5 loadings from new brass (if you can find it). God willing, Remington will make another run of it sometime in the future. Loading single shot will lessen the wear/tear on the brass somewhat..............it is the rim that takes the beating and some Model 14 rifles are worse than others. Again, I ramble on but keep passing on the above info in the hope others will listen.

Take care & behave!

Jim Peterson
Charlotte, NC
Jim Peterson
Jake007

Post by Jake007 »

Good stuff there, Jim.
My son asked me why I picked up on this 25 and 30 REM instead of something modern, 25-06 I suppose. I can't really answer that logically as it just seems more fun to fool with these historical pieces.
I just got 60 rounds of 25 REM RN from Buffalo that shot fine. I didn’t have any RN when I loaded some spritzer bullets (boat tail) but I put them in one at a time even though, it looks like the twist in the magazine holds the bullets off the primer of the front round! My resize die has a broken deprimer pin so I can’t use the neck expander either. The BT is easier to seat. I don’t have the factory crimp tool. Why is that so important?
Thanks for the tip in the stock, too.

Best,
Dan
Jake007

Post by Jake007 »

Jim,
Do you anneal the brass? If so, has it helped preserve the brass?

Dan
nambujim

Post by nambujim »

Sorry about being so late responding to this but "No" I don't anneal. After 4-6 loadings the rim is so beat up it won't feed, cycle, or eject with any reliability so its best discarded. After you clean the rims to rid them of burrs from the feed/eject system they lose just enough metal so they eject poorly or not at all. With brass being so scarce for these calibers you can save some wear by firing practice/sighting rounds single shot, that helps prolong the life somewhat. Hopefully Remington will make some additional runs of the .30 Remington brass and help us out.

Jim Peterson
Charlotte, NC
Jim Peterson
Jake007

Post by Jake007 »

Thanks for your reply. I have the same concern........ lack of BRASS!