What diciphers a rifles grade (standard, special ,peerless,)

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
Viking

What diciphers a rifles grade (standard, special ,peerless,)

Post by Viking »

I would like to know. How to tell the difference between grades on a model 14
umcpumpgun

Re: What diciphers a rifles grade (standard, special ,peerle

Post by umcpumpgun »

"C" grades slight upgraded wood checkered front and rear. "D" grade nicer wood with nice grain with some flowing lines. Roughly 50% eng. On receiver with serial number engraved in script not block roll stamp. Checkered front and rear with Rem. Grip cap. "F" grade rec. Fully eng. as well out on the barrel 2 in. as well as magazine bands and s rew heads. Serial number eng. Wood with killer grain and character. There will be more points in checkering also. Also has Rem. vrip cap Both D and F grade have parts in the rec.polished. "E" grades very seldom encounterd and can be up for a lot of discussion as to whether it is an E grade or not. Easy to tell if it is factory eng.is the eng. serial number
Viking

Post by Viking »

Thanks for the reply. I specifically trying to collect first year model 14's .I haven't seen any other grades besides base model of that year.
umcpumpgun

Post by umcpumpgun »

Viking, I was fortunate to pick upa first year mod. 14 that was a consecutive numbered gun to go with one i already had. Proud owner of sn,# 1720. And 1721. Not for sale. Neither is mint about 85%. Managed to take a deer with 1720 couple of years ago. Good luck in your quest.
Viking

Post by Viking »

Would you mind posting a pic of your buttplate?I would like to replace mine. Somebody changed mine to a Winchester.I want to make sure I get the right one. That's awesome you found those.
umcpumpgun

Post by umcpumpgun »

Viking, Nearly all early mod. 14's had the hard rubber butplate with umc logo and are always chipped or broken. Other buttplates could be ordered but are pretty rare on early guns. That is why so many have been replaced. Sorry i dont know how to post a pic here. You probablywill never found one for sale.. You can do a google search for reproduction buttplates and find a co. In N.C. that sells one for rem. mod 12 that can be made to fit wit a little creative work such as boiling in a pot of water to get the right bend then a small amt. of rasping to fit. Not as hard as it sounds.. They are pretty inexpensive and aren't ex like the mod 14 but are pretty darn close. I have fitted several of them. Hope this helps.