Vintage Tasco Scope on Remington 788

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
Scorpion8

Vintage Tasco Scope on Remington 788

Post by Scorpion8 »

I just received a vintage Remington 788 that came with a Tasco 4x32 scope. According to Remington's old literature from this era, some 788's came with a Tasco 4-power scope included, so this appears to be it. It's in good shape, appears clear, and is a model 660AK made in Japan. Now I've heard that there are "good" Tasco's made in Japan, and "bad" Tasco's made everywhere. So my question is more of does anyone know anything about this model? Finding info on old Tasco's is difficult even in the Googleage. I may or may not want to use this scope, as it came on "low" Weaver-style mounts and may need medium sized mounts, plus I have a stock of newer Burris and Nikon glass that I could put on instead.

Anybody know anything about old Tasco scopes?
NRA Life; NAHC Life; Retired USN
Pain heals, chicks dig scars, ......glory .......lasts forever!
nambujim

Re: Vintage Tasco Scope on Remington 788

Post by nambujim »

When Tasco first entered the market place in the 60's they were not well received but after a few years they gained a high degree of respect. Those scopes were made in Japan and used damn good glass of a quality right up there with B&L. I was never much of a hunter but a friend gave me a Tasco scope to use on a lightweight .22 for my son, it worked like a champ, durable, and as stated above had damn clear glass. My understanding is that later on as they farmed out production the quality declined.

I know nothing about the 788 but checked a bunch of the old Shooters Bible's I have on hand and no mention is made of including a Tasco scope but it would have been a neat marketing ploy. Perhaps specific dealers did it in an effort to promote sales, they weren't expensive, and did the job.

I have a program for American Rifleman articles from 1953-2003 and the only one involving the 788 had to do with the evaluation of one in .223 Caliber.

Hope some of this helps.

Jim Peterson
Charlotte, NC
Jim Peterson
Scorpion8

Re: Vintage Tasco Scope on Remington 788

Post by Scorpion8 »

The 1982 and 1983 Remington-DuPont Retail Catalog shows the 788 with a Tasco 4x scope as part of a package deal, item number 9815 in .308 Winchester like mine. My 788 was manufactured in 1977 and the earlier catalogs show the rifle offered with a "4x fixed power scope" but no mention is made of brand. The 1976 catalog shows it with a "universal UE fixed 4x scope" again with no brand designated. In any event, the scope seems to have held up well although I have not tested it on a rifle under recoil loading.
NRA Life; NAHC Life; Retired USN
Pain heals, chicks dig scars, ......glory .......lasts forever!