Model 14 sight evolution...

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
neverguided

Model 14 sight evolution...

Post by neverguided »

For those who know, I am trying to get a sense of what sights the Model 14 had throughout its production history. I am aware of the wheel sight and had always assumed that rifles without had their sights replaced. However, it appears as though Remington perhaps transitioned to the leaf rear while barrels retain cuts for the original wheel sight? Is this correct and if so, when did this transition take place? Thanks!
nambujim

Re: Model 14 sight evolution...

Post by nambujim »

Transition took place about 1927 but the wheel sight was an option right up until the end of production. The slot for the wheel elevator was on each and every barrel including the 4,000 used for the initial production of the Model 141. When they went to the 701-1/2 Long Leaf Rear Sight they also went to a higher front sight, the result was a far-far better sight picture.

I have no idea what the cost differences were between the 117-1/2 Wheel Sight and the 701-1/2 Long Leaf Sight but both constructed of milled steel parts. The 701 did have an adjustable aperture/set screw adding to the cost so my thinking is they cost about the same.

The 701-1/2 was changed again for the Model 141 early on and is seen on other Remington rifles as well.
Jim Peterson
Oscarflytyer

Post by Oscarflytyer »

Do you guys have pics of the diff sights? Or know where I can find pics? Thanx

Looking for something diff than leaf for mine, as my eyes just don't see leaf sight set worth a dang anymore...
nambujim

Post by nambujim »

There are pics in Ken Blauch's book but its no longer in print. You must understand that in addition to the Wheel Sight & 701-1/2 Long Leaf Remington offered several options including King, Marble, Redfield, and whatever at nominal cost.

If you have trouble with barrel sights then about your only option would be a tang sight utilizing the pre-drilled holes in the lower receiver or affixing a receiver sight. Most of us hate drilling into these rifles but beyond a doubt the best sight picture with "metallic" sights comes from a receiver sight coupled with a hooded target style front (Lyman 17A MI) using an aperture insert............or your choice of inserts. I probably lean in this direction because I shot competitively for many years and like target style sights, they will in addition provide great accuracy.

Countless pictures of sight options in Old Gun Digest, Shooter's Bible, and the currently published "Old Gunsights). Hope this helps.

Jim Peterson
Charlotte, NC
Jim Peterson
Oscarflytyer

Post by Oscarflytyer »

Thanx Jim. Still learning about the 14/141s. Def NOT going to drill the 14 I got from you. And IF I were to find the tang sight, prob way above what I am willing to pay for it. I have one of the bbl dovetail Skinner peep sights mounted on a Henry 22 rifle. I prefer the same sight over the receiver, but bbl mount is the next best option. And like you, shot competitively and Army, and really like peep and target sights. My sons hate them, but only because they won't take the time to learn to use them.
neverguided

Post by neverguided »

Thanks Jim, that certainly explains my observations.
mwp321

Post by mwp321 »

Mine has a marbles flip down sight that I believe was an option.