Rem Model 12 barrel not tight on receiver breeching face?

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
Flatsix

Rem Model 12 barrel not tight on receiver breeching face?

Post by Flatsix »

Hi all,

Have been asked by a friend to comment on the originality of a Rem Model 12 late 1920s-30s manufacture date.

For the sights to be in the correct 12 o'clock position, the barrel has a gap, between the barrel shoulder and the front of the receiver.

If it was done up tight the sights would end up at 9'oclock and the mag tube wouldn't be looking to good either.

I believe that's a sure sign of being re-barrelled, others think the rifle left the factory like that.

Has anyone got a Model 12 rifle with a slight gap between the breeching face?

Do you think it would leave the factory with that gap? did the Great Depression mean Rem dropped inspection standards

Thanks for any help
John Gyde

Re: Rem Model 12 barrel not tight on receiver breeching face

Post by John Gyde »

It did not leave the factory that way. It sounds like a replacement barrel or, more likely some Bubba work.
Flatsix

Post by Flatsix »

Thanks for the reply John, I thought as much, but it always better to hear from people who really know this model.

Would have any info on why and when there was a transition from the 6 groove rifling pattern to the 5 groove in the Rem Model 12?

Thanks again
John Gyde

Post by John Gyde »

Nope. I didn't know there was a change. Learn something new every day. Unfortunately I learn one and forget two.......
SwondeR

Rem Model 12 barrel not tight on receiver breeching face

Post by SwondeR »

That came out looking pretty great Peter Was that from the file that got corrupt the other day?

Weird about the Kerkythea render. Im not sure why that would have happened.
Es mi firma.
finisher

Post by finisher »

How do you fix his problem of the barrel not centered and tight to the receiver.