Remington Model 12 identification help

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
cmalan1213

Remington Model 12 identification help

Post by cmalan1213 »

So from what I've read you guys get this question a lot, but I have searched many sites and cannot find an answer. My grandfather died unexpectedly years ago and my grandmother gave me a rifle that she didn't even know he had. I will try to be as detailed as possible and if someone could help with the exact model and date of manufacture it would be great. I hear John Gyde is the expert on these rifles.
23" octagon barrel measured from tip of barrel to the start of the reciever. I understand you should measure to the end of the chamber face but I'm not going to try to take the barrel off. From what I can see its 24" total.
Serial number stamp on bottom of receiver "48559" with "R W" above it. Serial number also appears on trigger frame when the receiver is removed.
Left side of receiver reads "Gallery Special"
Left side of barrel near the receiver reads "22 Short"
Top of barrel just past the rear sight moving towards the front sight reads "Remington Arms Company. ILION, N.Y. U.S.A." Second line "Pedersen's Patents Jany 5, 1909. Other Patents Pending."
Bottom of the barrel just past receiver has the number 1 4 stamped on it. 1 being closest to the receiver.
Left side of barrel almost against the receiver in a vertical pattern the letters H S stamped on it. H being at the 12 o clock position. Moving towards the barrel a sideways 2 is also stamped about an inch away.
The stock has a pistol style grip and a creasent shape with metal butt plate.
The magazine tube is steel with a brass inner tube.

I am sure this rifle is a standard model, but no where on the weapon does it say peerless, expert, or premier. And the barrel markings match nothing I've researched. If some one could please enlighten me it would be greatly appreciated.

-Semper Fi
Wulfman

Re: Remington Model 12 identification help

Post by Wulfman »

You have a Remington Model 12 "Gallery Special".
The "Gallery Special" models were chambered for (as far as I know) the .22 Short cartridge (ONLY). Many were used in indoor "shooting galleries" back in the early half of the 20th century and maybe in some carnival shooting galleries, too.

I would suggest going up to the "Search" function (in the green bar) and put in the words "Gallery Special" and start reading. There's quite a bit of info in the previous posts.

I would also suggest doing a Google search on the phrase "Remington Model 12 Gallery Special", too.

And, yes, John Gyde and Roy Marcot are the "experts" on Remington rimfire rifles.

Den

cmalan1213

Post by cmalan1213 »

Thanks for your help, I was under the understanding that it was a Remington Model 12 Gallery Special but within the model 12 there are many different variations such as the 12a, 12b, 12c, 12d, 12e with the 12c having many different sub types such as the Remington Special, NRA Target Model, and the Extra Option Model. Not to mention that this was a gallery gun and probably passed through thousands of hands and who knows what alterations the original owner made. As for the date of manufactuer, remington stamped the left side of the barrel with a date code after 1921. The code on mine does not match any code I have read about, and considering the serial number is 48559 it is quite possible it was made prior to 1921. I have been searching forums but to no avail. I will keep trying but if I can get any further help I would be ecstatic. The gun fires, with some problems with extraction that I am trying to fix. But knowin the exact history behind this rifle will make it that much better when I take my children out to shoot with it.

-Semper Fi
Wulfman

Post by Wulfman »

Some things from your details that pop out at me.
From the serial number you listed, I'm quite sure yours was made before 1921.
Your description of the "stampings" in the left side of the barrel make me think they were inspection marks.

Regarding the serial number, I have a Model 12 C with serial number 7290XX that was made in March of 1928 (Date code A W). My father has a Model 12 C with serial number 6144XX that was made in April 1923 (Date code C P). Your serial number is much, much lower.
Here's a link to the date codes.

http://www.remingtonsociety.com/rsa/que ... arrelcodes

Typically, the Model 12 Cs had octagon barrels and buttstocks with pistol grips and crescent butt plates. However, I'm not familiar with the variations that were available in the "Gallery Special" models.

Den

John Gyde

Post by John Gyde »

According to Rem records your Model 12-B (the B is the Gallery Special in .22 Short) was made in 1910. The 12-C had the most variations. The "B"s are sometimes partially nickel plated, but most were blued.
cmalan1213

Post by cmalan1213 »

Thanks all your input is really giving me hope that this is a valuable gun, not speaking in monetary value because I don't sell my guns they are like children, but more of historical significance of a rifle from the early 1900's. as for the date marks I have seen the diagram before and mine has no marks that match it. That marking code was put into production in 1921 that is why I believe this is a pre-1921 rifle plus the serial number is under 50,000. Attached is a picture of the barrel marks to give you a better idea. I'm thinking of taking pictures of all the markings to help figure this riddle out.

Kind of a dumb question but is their just a gallery special model. I thought all the model 12's were gallery specials and they also had sub models such as 12a, 12b, 12c etc. if you could help me understand all this. Thanks

-Semper Fi
cmalan1213

Post by cmalan1213 »

And that sir is why you are the expert John thank you both for all the help. Were you saying that my rifle was manufactured in 1910 or that the 12b started production in 1910?
Wulfman

Post by Wulfman »

cmalan1213 wrote:Thanks all your input is really giving me hope that this is a valuable gun, not speaking in monetary value because I don't sell my guns they are like children, but more of historical significance of a rifle from the early 1900's. as for the date marks I have seen the diagram before and mine has no marks that match it. That marking code was put into production in 1921 that is why I believe this is a pre-1921 rifle plus the serial number is under 50,000. Attached is a picture of the barrel marks to give you a better idea. I'm thinking of taking pictures of all the markings to help figure this riddle out.

Kind of a dumb question but is their just a gallery special model. I thought all the model 12's were gallery specials and they also had sub models such as 12a, 12b, 12c etc. if you could help me understand all this. Thanks

-Semper Fi
No, the "Model 12" is the main model category. Some of the variations were:
Model 12 A (straight grip, round barrel and flat non-metal buttplate)
Model 12 C (pistol grip stock, octagon barrel and crescent metal buttplate)
I think the vast majority of the non-"Gallery Special" models were chambered for the short, long and long rifle cartridges.
There was also a model called the "CS" which was chambered for the ".22 Special" - WRF. (a longer case and similar to, but not interchangeable with the later-introduced Winchester .22 Magnum - WMR) I believe this variation also had an octagon barrel and pistol grip with crescent buttplate.

The "Gallery Special" was just another subcategory (with apparent variations). As far as I know, all of them were chambered for ONLY the .22 short.

These links will give you a little more info:

http://www.remington.com/en/products/ar ... el-12.aspx

http://www.wisnersinc.com/additional_in ... on_m12.htm

Den

John Gyde

Post by John Gyde »

[quote="cmalan1213"]And that sir is why you are the expert John thank you both for all the help. Were you saying that my rifle was manufactured in 1910 or that the 12b started production in 1910?[/quote]

Your rifle was made in 1910. The 12-B was introduced in 1909.
Go8bud

Post by Go8bud »

Hello I found this while looking up info on a Remington pump I inherited. Round barrel no markings on barrel except for calibers. SN marked under reciever is RW 50201. I'm trying to fine rear tang sight it's missing the sight that screws in.
Any information would be great!! Front has a flip sight from a circle post to just post. Has flip rear blade on barrel and on the stock has the tang but no info on it, 2 screws hold it at the top of stock / reciever.
Thank you