Info on Model 141 Grade E

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
dtarbox

Info on Model 141 Grade E

Post by dtarbox »

My father-in-law asked me to put this rifle in my gunsafe for safe keeping. He told me that it belonged to his grandfather. I would like some help identifying its year of manufacture so that I can add it to my insurance.

It has the following:

Grade E
Model 141
28,xxx serial
32 REM

the receiver is fully engraved with a deer on one side and a bear on the other. The blueing is excellent and the stock is in pretty good shape with a few scratches. I have not inspected that barrel.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
D
shot1too

Post by shot1too »

Well you got my hart pounding when you said an "E" grade 141. When you said it had a game sceen on both sides you said alot. Unless there is something more that I don't know, you have an "F" grade and not an "E".
There will be a date code on the left side of the barrel low and in front of the receiver. If you go to the RSA "Home" page you will see the title Date Of Manufacture. That is where you will find the date code system. As far as I know there were no "E" grade rifles produced. The predecessor of the 141 was the Model 14. The 14 was advertised as being made in an "E" grade only in the 1913-14 two year catalog. By the time the 1914 export catalog was published, the "E" grade was gone. I have never seen any Remington catalogs listing an "E" grade in the 14 or 141 except for that two year catalog. From the 1913 catalog the "E" grade only had a game sceen on one side the other side had scroll engraving. Now that said, is the rifle marked anywhere as an "E" grade? If you can send some pictures to the ADMIN it would help identify your rifle. I know there would be several members who would like to see it.

Loren RSA
dtarbox

Post by dtarbox »

It is engraved on the receiver "Grade E" along with the model number and serial. I will try and get some pictures taken this evening when I get home and post them.

Thanks,
D
shot1too

Post by shot1too »

If you have trouble posting the pictures, my email is shot1too@aol.com.

Loren RSA
remjim

Post by remjim »

I have a Rem. 141-E in .35REM., s/n 22,9xx, production code CG which indicates the rifle was made in 1938. According to old price list a 141-E in 1938 cost about $225. Your .32REM caliber is an uncommon caliber for an E grade 141 rifle
My rifle is engraved on the bottom of the receiver "Model 141 E" just above the serial number. Engraved on the receiver is a standing 10 point buck on the right side and a running 6 point buck on the left side. All working parts are hand polished.
Model F Remington guns were furnished with a gold name plate inlaided in the stock for the owner's initials. E grade guns could be ordered with a silver name plate.
Remington high grade guns were graded as follows:
"D" Peerless
"E" Expert
"F" Premier
Jim Stoker
jwsvc76@aol.com
651-437-1055
shot1too

Post by shot1too »

Well how about that! Now you know why RSA hosts this site. There are now several RSA members that have been contacted on this subject. As the information is obtained and sorted we will make comments. As they say on the news, stay tuned for further developments.

Loren RSA
dtarbox

Pictures

Post by dtarbox »

Hi-rez pics:

A Bit out of focus on the Bear
Should there be a primer
I don't see a code on the barrel, maybe I am looking in the wrong place.
John Gyde

Post by John Gyde »

Loren:
An "E" grade can have game scenes.
shot1too

Post by shot1too »

John

I know the "E" has a game sceen. The only discription I have is for the 14-E from 1913. At that time it was Identified as follows: Silver name plate inlaid in stock. The receiver and barrel are finished with beautiful deep scroll hand engraving with a game panel on the left side of receiver. All working parts are hand polished. It is obvious that there were changes in the engraving grades from 1913 to the subject rifle. I just found out today that there is a 141 price list that shows the "E" grade in the 141. Even the announcements for the 141 fail to list the "E" grade. This is big new for the 141 people. From the pictures, it looks like the engaving is Remington. It also looks more like what Gene shows in his book for the 760 than it does to the Model 14 engraving. I hope we can get pictures of the other "E" so they can be compared.

Loren
shot1too

Post by shot1too »

D

I just went back over your pictures. What a great rifle. I will be talking with some of the researchers over the next few days. I also saw you question about the ammunition indicator. It is right the way it is. The 141 never had the solid plug like the older model 14. By the way, the AI is not made from the base of a shell it was made from brass stock. Did you find a date code on the barrel?

Loren
lowgun

Post by lowgun »

I have brought the "Carl Ennis Engraved 141 E Grade" thread to the top. For your information, my gun (not pictured on that thread) is similar in design and degree of coverage, has a bighorn sheep on the receiver top as the third game scene, has a fancy grooved forend rather than a checkered forearm, is not marked by grade but has engraved serial number, is not date marked, and the Carl Ennis "E" is engraved near a stump in the deer scene. So now we have at least three E Grades. Now that I've seen the picture of the .32 caliber E Grade, I am less convinced that my gun is a presentation or retirement gun, now feel that it is really a catalog E Grade. Thanks to Gene for emailing me the heads up on the new thread. I will still try to get some pictures out. Bill Murphy
Gene Myszkowski

Post by Gene Myszkowski »

dtarbox - great pictures and they confirm it is an "E" grade. Remington pulled the receivers to be engraved off the production line before they were rollmarked with Remington, model and stamped with the serial number. These were then hand engraved on the receiver. Most of the time it was done on the bottom of autoloader and pump receivers although I have handled an early F grade Model 740 that had the Remington, etc. hand engraved on the left receiver panel. It was signed by Runge.

It has generally been said that the prewar Remington policy was that engravers did not sign their work. Postwar they did. Carl Ennis used a tiny E usually in the band surrounding the game scene on the left receiver panel. Bob Runge used a tiny R in the band or more commonly RPR plus the year in a rock or stump in the game scene. You will need a loupe to see if your rifle is signed.

remjim - Your 141- D is the first I have heard of in the postwar period and your 141 - E adds to the interest in the E grades. We need pictures to compare engraving styles. Up to this thread we did not have a 141 E grade that was marked.

lowgun - Bill - you have a case that your ungraded 141 is an E grade. Again we need pictures to compare engraving styles.

I am working on a RSA Journal article about the postwar engravers from 1946 to 1980. We have found in the Remington Archives data for the 1951 to 1980 period but the 1946 to 1950 era is sparse.

Gene Myszkowski
dtarbox

Post by dtarbox »

I looked at the barrel again and there does not appear to be a date code, or at least it is not visible.

I have not been able to identify any letters or dates in the game panels, which would make sense if it was made in 1940.

Is there a disassembly manual available online or does someone have a scan. I would like to at least give the action a cleaning since it has been in storage for so long with no attention.

Added picture of the top engraving.

thanks,
Doug
shot1too

Post by shot1too »

Doug

As gene said, great pictures. You can order an owners manual right from Remington Arms but wait a couple of days. We still haven't heard from a couple of people yet. I think Rem141 is deer hunting. He may have what you need. I was going to wait untill I talked with him but as Gene says you have a great Model 141-E. I don't think anyone is going to argue that. When we are done with this thread, I was wondering if you would email me a set of photos? The RSA keeps an information file on the various models and I want the photos to get added to the 141 file. You may not have a date code on this rifle since it was in the engraving shop and not finished on the main production line (just a guess)

Loren
shot1too

Post by shot1too »

Doug

Just found a list of 141 dates of manufacture by serial number. Number 28107 starts 3-1-40. Number 28702 starts 4-1-40. So 1940 is the year. The month would be Feb., Mar. or April depending on the last numbers. By May the range was in the 29,000s.

Loren