700 classic in 300wby

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
reggart

700 classic in 300wby

Post by reggart »

Hello,
I have the opportunity to purchase an unfired remington 700 classic in 300wby. I love the weatherby round and I have long been a remington fan so finding this rifle is like a dream come truel; however, I read on a forum where someone mentioned that the remington classic had a 1-12 twist for their 300wby whereas the standard weatherby mark V is is 1-10 twist. I really do want to load 200gr barnes bullets for ballistic coefficient and other reasons and I am afraid the 1-12 twist won't push those heavier bullets.
One other question, does anyone have one of these rifles and if so, what is the recoil like?
Wulfman

Re: 700 classic in 300wby

Post by Wulfman »

reggart wrote:Hello,
I have the opportunity to purchase an unfired remington 700 classic in 300wby. I love the weatherby round and I have long been a remington fan so finding this rifle is like a dream come truel; however, I read on a forum where someone mentioned that the remington classic had a 1-12 twist for their 300wby whereas the standard weatherby mark V is is 1-10 twist. I really do want to load 200gr barnes bullets for ballistic coefficient and other reasons and I am afraid the 1-12 twist won't push those heavier bullets.
One other question, does anyone have one of these rifles and if so, what is the recoil like?
You really need to take with a grain of salt things you read on forums....... :roll: :lol: :lol:

However.........
I checked the '89 Remington catalog (the year the Classic in .300 Wby. mag was issued) and it does NOT specify what the twist is. (for some strange reason)

But, almost all of the .30 caliber Remington rifles have 1 in 10" twist (with the exception of one listing for a .308 Winchester). I can't imagine why it would be that much different from a .300 Win. Mag. They also announced in the catalog that the new ammunition they were producing for the .300 Wby. was a round nose 220 grain load. So, I think you're being unnecessarily concerned about the bullet weight and twist. I think I would be more concerned about the recoil and developing a bad case of "flinch-itis" and being able to place the bullet accurately, unless you're used to shooting those classes of cartridges.

I personally don't own any firearms in Weatherby calibers......nor would I.

One other little bit of info......
According to the information I obtained somewhere, that year had by far the highest number of Classics produced: 1989 - 300 Weatherby - 10,779
So, it's not too surprising that you've found one in unfired condition.

Den
reggart

Post by reggart »

Thank you so much for your feedback. I probably could have done a better job with my 2nd question. I have shot a weatherby mark V in 300wby numerous times and I am very familiar with the recoil of that gun, I was wondering if anyone has every compared the recoil handling characteristics of the weatherby stock vs the remington 700 classic in the same chambering.
Bill Wynne

Post by Bill Wynne »

reggart wrote:Hello,
Regard,

To determine the twist of a riffle use a cleaning rod with a wet patch and a mark on your rod and a ruler. I was told to use masking tape up near the handle. You push the patch in to the point that the rod begins to turn and then you make a mark facing you. Next you measure the distance to the rear of the reciever and write it down. Now push the rod in and let it turn one rotation. Measure the distance the same as you did the first time. If it is 10 inches, your twist is one in ten. This may sound complectaded but it is accurate and simple once you do it once.

Bill
jrv0976

Post by jrv0976 »

Hi i know this a really old post but i have had a 700 classic in .300 Weatherby and i bought 2nd hand from a lgs for about 450.00 in 1990 I have to say i love the riffle but what i have found out from Remingtin CS was it has a 1:10"rate of twist and is really finicky and usaully likes only 180 grain and heavier,my largest conceen was if it had tbe Weatherby freebore and Remington did not know ,so i smoked a 180 grain boat tail and went untill it just touched the rifiling and then seated ack .030" and i have got good accuracy and no sings of overpreasure ie flattened primers. I Hope this helps someone outhere and hopefully help generate some interest and get others to post their experience on this unqique riffle /caliber combination.